Thread: Mozilla suite annoyance

Mozilla suite annoyance

Hi there,

I have Mozilla suite, which is the fire fox and thunderbird together. If is a little different from thinderbird.

Does anyone know how to make it so that when you reply to someone, your reply starts at the top and not the bottom. It is one check box somewhere, but I can't find it. Everytime I install it on a new computer I have to go through this and it is enough to make me not want to use it. there is nothing in the help files either that I can find.

Can someone just tell me where it is please.

Jonny stressed Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Just Another Geek

Re: Mozilla suite annoyance

Originally posted here by JonnyFrond
    I have Mozilla suite, which is the fire fox and thunderbird together.
    No, it's not...

What's the difference between Firefox and Mozilla?

Mozilla (Application Suite, also known as SeaMonkey) is a complete suite of web related applications, such as a browser, a mail/news client, a chat client and much more. Firefox is just a browser, which makes it a better choice if you already have a mail client for example. Also, since Firefox is smaller than the whole Mozilla suite, it's faster and easier to use.

Note, though, that Firefox is not the standalone Mozilla browser. The user interface in Firefox differs from Mozilla in many ways. For example, Firefox has customizable toolbars.
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I am aware of this, I just was hoping someone who uses Mozilla suite would know how to do this, as I beleive it might be straight forward in Thunderbird.

All I know is that what I am after is a dropdown box that says before or after, I just need to know where it is, as I cannot find it in preferences. I seem to remember it is somewhere else, though I cannot find it.
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Hey Jonny ,

I don't know if these guys are using the same stuff as you, but this is how Lancaster University set it up:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/iss/ras/thunderbird.htm

There is a bit about "user configutations" or whatever part the way down.

EDIT: this bit:

Important Configuration for Exchange Users

1. click 'Tools' then 'Account Settings' option - see dialog.
    2. click on 'Copies & Folders' option.
    3. under 'Place a copy in:' click on the 'Other' option.
    4. drop the list next to the 'Other' option and choose 'Exchange' then 'Sent Items'.
    5. click on 'Composition & Addressing' option.
    6. drop the 'start my reply below the quote' list and choose 'Start my reply above the quote' option.
    7. click OK.

Just Another Geek

Re: Mozilla suite annoyance

Originally posted here by JonnyFrond
    Does anyone know how to make it so that when you reply to someone, your reply starts at the top and not the bottom.
    Oh.. I forgot.. You want to top-post.. That's bad netiquette....

Your reply should be below the quote you're commenting on..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hmmm..............

Your reply should be below the quote you're commenting on..
    I would say that is not true of e-mail implementations in the UK. It is traditional to have the most recent response first. This is particularly true where you have some sort of "thread management" facility like Lotus Notes. In that case you would probably turn off the option to show the previous message, as it should already be indexed to the thread.

EDIT: This is also the traditional method for paper filing systems as well.

Originally posted here by nihil
    I would say that is not true of e-mail implementations in the UK. It is traditional to have the most recent response first. This is particularly true where you have some sort of "thread management" facility like Lotus Notes. In that case you would probably turn off the option to show the previous message, as it should already be indexed to the thread.
    Yes, posting above the quote tends to be more popular nowadays - especially when it is a one-on-one conversation in which the receiving person will know what the sender is talking about (in reply to his/her own email). However, in the context of mailing lists and other multi-user conversations, replying below the quote is considered 'courteous' because then it is much easier to follow what is happening.

IMHO, replying after the quote is better practice, but replying before it is more useful in a business situation. Choose the method which suits you...

Cheers,

-jk

Ps. nihil's right about the location of the quote configuration box

Hi J_K9 ,

Yes, with a forum and the like you usually post latest first. IM tends to go the other way, because there are multiple participants, and you add to the end.

With somewhat more sophisticated e-mail systems the most recent first would also be the case, as if you have the "thread" you can sort it as you please.............earliest or latest, by correspondent etc.

The traditional filing cabinet, paper trail works the same, as do medical records, police files, MoD files, insurance files, tax files, lawyers files etc.

You only use earliest first when you are bringing a new player into the game?

Just look at ring binders..............they physically want you to add the most recent item to the top?

I rest my case

The traditional filing cabinet, paper trail works the same, as do medical records, police files, MoD files, insurance files, tax files, lawyers files etc.
    How mind numbingly fascinating, i really didn't know that.....OR CARE FOR THAT MATTER!!!!!!

OK. I found it, and for all those who had the same problem as me, and wanted to know how to do it, and not fanny about discussing whether the milk should be put in before the tea, or after....

It is in Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings, in the composition directory, and is a drop down box saying "Start my reply above/below the Quote"

Erm Mods, you might wanna put a cap on this thread now, in case someone tries to answer the age old question of "should you floss before or after you clean your teeth?" no one knows the answer to it. Great opener for talking to a group of girls at a bar by the way.

I'd love to say thanks for the help guys... but ....I suddenly can't remember how to.....

Yours with frustrated avengence

Jonny GreenTeeth Frond

Disclaimer: contents of this post was intended for information regarding the Mozilla mail client and humour only. Any attempts to assume arsiness on my side will be met with SILENCE!!
    Sarcasm is a way of life

OK. I found it, and for all those who had the same problem as me, and wanted to know how to do it, and not fanny about discussing whether the milk should be put in before the tea, or after....
    Right, if you want to be a Richard Cranium Esquire, please feel free. You have made two fatal errors:

1. What operating system?
    2. Precise details of the nature and release number of your applications software.

So, your post does not necessarily help those searching the forum after you?

And the milk goes in first, but at least you would make a safe suicide bomber..........with that lack of knowledge of the chemistry and physics of the real World, I know that I could just detonate you from a safe distance.

Incidentally, has it ever occurred to you that if you fail to grasp user requirements and preconceptions in a commercial environment, you may well spend the rest of your life waiting for the jolly green giro every fortnight? (that's a welfare check for our North American friends). It is a hard World Jonny, trust me............................