Thread: port scanner

port scanner

hi all

when i'm doing a port scanner i'm getting exception
    "connection refused"
    what to do ?can u explain ?
    its in windows envt in java platform.
    radhekrishna

is it necessary to start a webserver for running the port scanner????????
    radhekrishna

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which port scanner?

And "connection refused" generally would mean that the service on a particular port isn't accepting connections. It's not an error. (Keep in mind that if you are going across the internet that some switches may detect port scans and may have an adverse affect on the scan)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Which portscanner is it, sounds like it is java based applet and if so you need the java runtimes and you would need to also code an html or other hypertext document that embeds the applet. But this is realy dependant on what your trying to do and what software you have.

Just to note, I hope the computers you scan belong to you, or you have permision. Random portscaning can lead to problems.
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

hi all
    now that i've created a port scanner and now i just want to do some enhancement in it.
    i've heard that
    1.beyond scanning the ports it can find out what services the syetm is providing?if so tell em how to do that?
    2.now i've made a scanner for single pc if i need to implement it in server for checking all the systems what is the thing i need to do?

hi,reply me aas early as possible.
    radhekrishna

Originally posted here by divsekar
    1.beyond scanning the ports it can find out what services the syetm is providing?if so tell em how to do that?
    What type of identification? If port 80 is open, the machine is most likely running a web server; you can fetch the HTTP header to identify the web server in most cases. In all such scenarios, it would be going beyond the 'port scanning' domain.

Do you have something specific in mind? Please give an example.

Originally posted here by divsekar
    2.now i've made a scanner for single pc if i need to implement it in server for checking all the systems what is the thing i need to do?
    The requirement is unclear to me. Which systems do you want to 'check'? Are they on the same local network as the scanner machine? How does your definition of 'single pc' differ from a 'server'? (i.e. what do you want a 'server' to do, that your single PC can't?)

P.S. mirado.kelly's advice (above) on random portscanning is good. Please take note of that.
    It would help to read what other port scanners are capable of, e.g. nmap
    Ah well...I\'m back on AntiOnline!