Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ISP?

Which ISP?

Ok, I need some advice.

I just moved to Texas and am temporarily staying with some family in middle-of-nowhere Midlothian, which is about half an hour south of the DFW. Right now, all we have is SUPER sucky dial-up, so they asked me to find a good high-speed service for them.

Did I mention this is out in the middle of nowhere?

So it looks like Comcast and SBC are no-nos, as they don't extend out in our area. So no DSL, no cable, which is what I'm familiar with. So what should I look into? They're thinking about satellite, but I know very little about it. Do keep in mind this is strictly for standard home use, so upload speeds aren't so much an issue.

But being completely new to the DFW, I don't even know where to start looking for what's available. Can someone in the know point me in a direction? Anyone care to direct B|ack|ce to this thread?

Doesnt verizon provide wireless acess with the most area coverege available...look into it on their website...
    O.G at A.O

Just checked -- Nope, Verizon doesn't stretch out there.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Sounds to me that you are lucky that telephone lines stretch out there....

IIRC satellite is dial-up outbound and satellite inbound.... It certainly was in the early days... Then comes the cost... If you are even asking about it then they know they have you by the short and curlies....

Rule 1. Prior to moving make sure high speed internet is available in the target location. If it isn't stay put....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks for the link Nihil.

And yeah Tiger, that's definitely a wise rule. Fortuntaely this move is only temporary -- I plan on moving to Arlington or Dallas within the next several weeks, then I can get REAL Internet.

This is a listing of links to a whole load of wireless provider's sites:

http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/...SPs_Texas.html

Just search for "midlothian" on it and check out the providers for the best deal.

HOLY CRAP the options I'm finding are crazy expensive -- We're talking $800+ to get installed! DirecWay seems to be the one that's most available.

Hi,

I guess there must be a local highschool. If you phoned the IT Department they might be able to help? Local newspaper staff would also be a good bet I would imagine?

I am just thinking of people who might be expected to have a private home solution of their own?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Do they have high schools in Texas?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides