Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig in Outlook 2000

Question Sig in Outlook 2000

Ok, I've got a client who needs help editing his signature for emails in Outlook 2000. He already has an existing signature in use, so I thought it would be a simple matter of going into options, into the Signature Picker, and editing the sig.

Nope.

Ok, check out the attachment first. Should look familiar -- It's the menu you usually go into to edit your Outlook signature, right?

Ok, strange thing is in this case that that little "Signature Picker" button is greyed out and inactive. You can click it all day long, but nothing happens.

So if you can't access the menu to edit your signature...um...how do you edit your signature??

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Could it be a Domain Policy issue?

You'll see that a lot with supposedly configurable things that the policy has disabled.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Where in the world would I find that kind of setting in AD though? Would it be something like a Power Users issue vs. users with standard restrictions?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I'd look under the User Policy in the components(?)... section... I know where I mean... I can't remember the title of the section... You might, depending on how your AD is, find a section there for Outlook..
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi

A couple of things you can do..

1. Get the latest updates for MS
    2. Is he using MS Word 2000, and is it the editor for MS Outlook
    3. The repair function (in help=Detect and Repair)
    4. Try switching the format from HTML to rich, press apply then change it back to HTML...

When you have Word as the e-mail editor you must have a default signature configured or you won't be able to select another signature while composing the mail. To select another signature right click on the left side of the signature and a list of available signatures will pop-up. If you don't want a default signature you can easily workaround this by configuring an empty signature (just containing spaces or Enters or a single dot) as the default signature. This will still enable the right click menu so you can choose a signature when you want to.
    Howtooutlook

Rich Text Format (RTF) A Microsoft format that supports text formatting, bullets, and alignment. You can also use signatures with Outlook Rich Text. (If you're using Microsoft Word as your e-mail editor, you must create the signature in Word.) Outlook Rich Text can be read only by Microsoft Exchange Client versions 4.0 and 5.0, Outlook 97, Outlook 98, and Outlook 2000. (Outlook Express cannot read RTF). In addition to messages, Outlook meeting requests and task requests are sent in RTF format, too.

MS Office

Luck....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Don't you just mark (by clicking in the circle provided) the "Use this existing signature as a template" to access the previous signatures? After marking the circle you should be able to access the signatures using the dropdown arrow.

Outlook 2000 Tips and Tricks

Well, finally got the issue taken care of. Oddly enough, he just changed his compose settings from HTML to plain text, and that enabled the signature picker button. So then he was able to recreate his signature and all is well. Go figure.

And now he has a new and equally obscure question! Yay!

When he used to use Outlook Express, it would autocomplete the To: field as he typed it. Now that he's using Outlook, that no longer happens. Why he cares is beyond me, but now I'm supposed to find out why it won't autocomplete. Anyone know off the top of their heads?

AOs Resident Troll
    AFAIK....If this is a new profile

He has to send some emails to those people first????

Then it will start to autocomplete

You can check his settings in Tools>options>Preferences>Email Options>Advanced settings

at the bottom of that tab...should have your settings

Outlook 2003

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

How about in Outlook 2000? Evidently it's not configured exactly the same. He couldn't find that option in the same place on his like it was in mine (I use 2002).

Ok, so he called back with yet another obscure and insignificant question that he wants me to find out for him anyway. When he replies to a message, it does not include his signature, and he wants it to include his signature.

Ugh. Ya know, I've got much bigger issues to work on than making this guy's emails look EXACTLY like he wants them to.

Hi

It could be a couple of things, in Outlook Express, as long as you had made up contacts, when typing in the name of the email, it would draw the name from the contacts list, so in effect autocompleting.

MS Outlook may have the same function, but could be interfered with, if there are more then one address book to pull info from, (exchange server, contacts,office listing etc.).

Check under services to see what are set up in the profile for address books.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson