Hi,

I'm not sure why, but I feel really paranoid about using my home computer network. I feel as if someone has gotten in, and I don't trust anything (wireless router firmware, notebook firmware, etc).

I am in the process of rebuilding my network. What order do should I build everything in? I know it sounds like a silly question, but let me elaborate.

I am going to setup a gateway with openbsd. I am going to install the OS, configure it as best as I can, but at some point I will most likely need additional software. I do not want to go onto the internet w/o having everything locked down. This leads me to a strange situation where I don't want to go onto the internet (due to fears), but I need to to grab software/documentation.

The only real solution I can think of is to download anything I need ahead of time and burn it onto a CD. I guess my real question is: what do you need to have in place in order to feel "safe" from being attacked? Is a firewall enough?

I know that there are such things as IDS, but they are only useful for reporting purposes.