Thread: Interesting find

Interesting find

Hmm,had a funny experience yesterday:
    I was watching a movie on the computer but the player wouldn't let me fast forward so I used another player.The file seems to have a hidden soundtrack apparently,it plays completely differently for one player and differently for another..without a trace of the other.The DVD's an original so I'm thinking they did it for a laugh.Any way to check what format the sound is in both the players?And I've been on the sites of both the players,they both seem to have nearly the same codecs they can play.Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?

Cheers

What's the film? I'd like to test it out myself

Just curious if we can chalk it up to the wonders of DRM?

Was one of the media players M$'s media player? The other wouldn't have been VLC by any chance?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Maybe I've missed something... Can you clarify what you mean by
    it plays completely differently for one player
    If you mean that the _same_ movie plays but literally with a different 'soundtrack' then this may be a feature of your DVD. Many DVD's have several audio tracks, including different translations and also director narration, etc. (just like setting a subtitles setting)

Possibly, the different media players have different locale settings?

Cheers,

aL

the bonus dvd for KoRn's see you on the other side album is like that, I was wondering why they listed tracks that were not showing up.... thanks

One was DivX...the other was VLC brokencrow...alleyCat,right on the button..its what I figured as well..although perhaps it's a 'fun' feature it might usually end up confusing a new user who'd think they got duped.Take spamdies's example for instance,why give bonus tracks on another layer when chances are most people might not find them?
    J_K9,trust me..you dont want to know

Cheers

DVDs often have multiple audio tracks for various languages or director's commentary, and even some movies have drastically different soundtracks depending of the language selected.

Usually, there's an option to choose which track to play in the movie's menu or in the player software itself (often accessible when right-clicking on the screen while playing). However, the players might behave differently when it comes to which track to play by default when starting a movie; some might either use the default audio track on the DVD, or take the regional settings of the OS to choose a language.

This might explain the difference between the players you've encountered... and yes, it happens to me often as my OS is set in French and DVD's autostart with that audio trac