Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows firewall blues..

Unhappy windows firewall blues..

Howdy.

Well earlier today, i noticed that on one of the machines at work the windows firewall had been disabled..

Anyhow i tried to get it enabled again by going into the admin account and going to the control panel and opening the windows firewall program.

Anyhow i am now recieving the errors in the screen dump. {See Attachement}..

Anyhow i've done complete scans of the Av, adaware, spybot etc etc..
    And usually i can sort these types out with problem solving and google research, but i'm not getting any further with the problem and there isn't much on google with the searches i've been doing..

just wondering if someone can throw me some ideas..

cheers
    front2back

Just Another Geek
    What does the eventlog tell you?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Howdy.

The only thing that it's saying in the eventlog is..
    Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    The only thing that it's saying in the eventlog is..
    Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.
    Ah.. Are any of the dependency services set to disabled? If so set them to manual (that will allow dependant services to start it)..

Check the "Network Connection", the "Windows Management Instumentation" and the "Remote Procedure Call" services..
    Oliver's Law:

Go to run --> msconfig --> Services --> and about 3/4 down the page there is the 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing(ICS). See if its ticked, if its not then tick it restart and it should be problem solved.

Keep us informed, and if it is ticked and still not working then SP2 maybe sightly out of wack.

riglt click on my computer, choose manage then services.

Find the windows firewall/ICS service and then click on properties. From here you can see its dependancies.

make sure they are started or set them to automatic as well as the windows firewall.

then reboot so all services start and all should be ok, you cold also set them to manula so the service cna start them but i prefer automatic.

hope this helps
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

Just Another Geek
    Sjeesh.. Doesn't anybody read these days?

Planit, geepod... Re-read what f2b said...
    He knows where it is... He tried to start it but it failed to start!
    Oliver's Law:

Hi all esp SirDice,

Just to clarify why I wrote the reply. From what f2b said, he never checked msconfig to see if it was disabled/enabled. Maybe, just the slightest possibility maybe and I stress maybe, he didn't know how to check if it was active their.

And his first post simply said

"Anyhow i tried to get it enabled again by going into the admin account and going to the control panel and opening the windows firewall program"

He didnt say in plain english that he checked msconfig. Did he?

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by planit
    Hi all esp SirDice,

Just to clarify why I wrote the reply. From what f2b said, he never checked msconfig to see if it was disabled/enabled. Maybe, just the slightest possibility maybe and I stress maybe, he didn't know how to check if it was active their.

And his first post simply said

"Anyhow i tried to get it enabled again by going into the admin account and going to the control panel and opening the windows firewall program"

He didnt say in plain english that he checked msconfig. Did he?
    You need to learn some more my young padawan.. No need to check msconfig.... He's starting the service.. It doesn't matter how or where you start it..
    Oliver's Law:

HI f2b

This may help Reset Winsock ...

Windows Firewall

How to reset Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP SP2

There are situations where-in you need to reset your Windows Firewall settings, after removing a Trojan etc. Resetting the Windows Firewall sets the configuration to factory defaults by removing all the programs / port / exceptions settings.

To reset the Windows Firewall to the factory default state, try this:

* Type firewall.cpl in Start, Run dialog.
    * Click the Advanced tab.
    * Click the Restore Defaults button.
    * Click Yes to continue when you see this dialog

Restoring the default settings will delete all settings of Windows Firewall that you have made since Windows was installed. This may cause some programs to stop working.

Do you want to continue?

The Windows Firewall is now turned ON, and set to factory default state.

Alternately, you can use the NETSH command-line to accomplish this:

Open a Command Prompt window and type NETSH FIREWALL RESET

This command resets firewall configuration to default. This provides the same functionality as the Restore Defaults button in the Windows Firewall interface.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson