Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no sound from the speakers

no sound from the speakers

Hi guys,
    I am having some strange issues with my sound devices in my system. I can run a sound (audio and video) on my system but i am unable to listen the voice from speakers and headphones. The media player is playing the file as normal but so sound. The same system was working fine until last week. I searched the online forums and communities for this problem and following are the proposed solutions.
    1) check the cable whether it is connected to right cord (yes)
    2) Is speaker is working fine (yes, checked with both speaker and headphones)
    3) Are correct drivers are installed (yes, check the attached screenshot)?
    4) Installed and reinstalled the drivers several time but in vain
    5) check sound mute? (nothing is muted in all the system)

Motherboard: 845GLLY (check screenshots)
    Sound card: builtin Sigmatel C-Major Audio

Is there any type of assistance provided by the geeks here cuz i am puzzled with this case.
    Note: Attached is a zip file containing the screenshots (png)

Thanks
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Do you have any third part media player type software installed?
    If so check the config of it - I had a problem yesterday where a user had checked - "allow digital sound only" for her analouge sound chip. Go figure..

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    form the top :

you have switched the speakers ON ?
    Mo /Bo or PCI sound ?

we have to assume it DID work prior to this ?
    anything changed recently ?
    anyone ELSE used the machine ?

do you have access to another unit to swap and play ?
    re-check all BIOS settings

still plugged into the same socket ?
    as a side issue :
    I found on some boxes with front mounted audio out that the rear mounted audio out did not work ........
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi

This could be a longshot, but as you are using WinXP, can you go back to an earlier restore point to see if maybe that might reset whatever settings you had last week, maybe a recent install, changed some of your settings or even an uninstall.....

System Restore (Kellys-Corner)

Luck...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Dalek has some good advice there. Restore points are often over looked when troubleshooting.

However, you said speakers are working fine. I'm guesing you tested them on another computer? If not then do so. Do you have onboard sound that you could plug your speakers in? Try all the advice given above and answer foxy's questions, they are good questions . If your still having problems then I suggest making sure the sound card is properly seated in the PCI slot or try another PCI slot. Cleaning out your compute with a can of compressed air isn't a bad idea either.

How old is your system? It just might be a dead sound card .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Do you have any third part media player type software installed?
    If so check the config of it - I had a problem yesterday where a user had checked - "allow digital sound only" for her analouge sound chip. Go figure..
    i will check this out when i am at home.

form the top :
    you have switched the speakers ON ?
    Mo /Bo or PCI sound ?
    yes, speakers are on and they are also working fine.
    The soundcard is builtin in the board or Mo /Bo

we have to assume it DID work prior to this ?
    anything changed recently ?
    anyone ELSE used the machine ?
    yes, it was working fine earlier, a day ago.
    yes, the guest account is enabled on the system and my sibilings use that.

do you have access to another unit to swap and play ?
    re-check all BIOS settings
    another system is available but what to swap as the sound card is not PCI.
    sound is enabled in the bios.

still plugged into the same socket ?
    as a side issue :
    I found on some boxes with front mounted audio out that the rear mounted audio out did not work ........
    i have only three slots on sound card, one is for speaker, second one is for mic and third one i don't know.

Hi

This could be a longshot, but as you are using WinXP, can you go back to an earlier restore point to see if maybe that might reset whatever settings you had last week, maybe a recent install, changed some of your settings or even an uninstall.....

System Restore (Kellys-Corner)

Luck...
    Dalek, I am not sure whether restore point is enabled on the system as i mostly prefer to disable it.

Dalek has some good advice there. Restore points are often over looked when troubleshooting.

However, you said speakers are working fine. I'm guesing you tested them on another computer? If not then do so. Do you have onboard sound that you could plug your speakers in? Try all the advice given above and answer foxy's questions, they are good questions . If your still having problems then I suggest making sure the sound card is properly seated in the PCI slot or try another PCI slot. Cleaning out your compute with a can of compressed air isn't a bad idea either.

How old is your system? It just might be a dead sound card .
    The Duck, the sound is on board and the system is 3 years old. What i think is that sound card is working fine? as windows hardware shows me that the device is working properly.

Thanks

Just Another Geek
    I'm sure you checked this already but.. Config-screen -> Sounds and Audio Devices... Tab Volume.. Button at the bottom.. Speaker Settings.. Advanced.. Make sure it isn't set to "no speakers"..

There is a possibility the soundcard is dead.. If the amplifiers are blown... Windows will still detect the card. Everything would look like it's working but there will be no sound.. The driver cannot detect blown up amplifiers..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

In 99% of cases wher I need to determine if the problem is software or hardware I will pull out my Live OS CD collection..
    1st is the Bart Pe boot cd..(and in 90% of boards the only cd I use)
    I check for noise.. works.. go back to settings.. not work go check the hardware..

From the seems here .. if the Live OS test come up silent.. then I next check in the BIOS or on the mobo..
    on the mobo some boards have a jumper that disables the on-board sound - reseat it.. it may have become tarnished or victem to metal migration..
    In the BIOS.. check that the sound card hasnt become disabled..

seeing as the MoBo is 3 yrs old.. HOW is the Backup battery? you could have random setting changes due to a failing batrtery?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

i had a similiar problem that turned out to be a prank played on me by a roomate. Open the sound control by doulbe-clicking on the icon in the bottom righ corner of your scree, makes sure you double-click and not single to open since they open two different things. Once this is open go to Options -> Properties and check all of the controls to show up. My friend had muted one of those then hid it so i couldn't see it without doing that and it fixed my problem. I have also heard that some programs that mess with sound settings sometimes dont set thjings back the way they were b4 and can cause this sort of issue.

Edit: Too little time at awork today to fix my spelling, think of it as a challenge 8-)
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted here by SirDice
    I'm sure you checked this already but.. Config-screen -> Sounds and Audio Devices... Tab Volume.. Button at the bottom.. Speaker Settings.. Advanced.. Make sure it isn't set to "no speakers"..

There is a possibility the soundcard is dead.. If the amplifiers are blown... Windows will still detect the card. Everything would look like it's working but there will be no sound.. The driver cannot detect blown up amplifiers..
    yes i have checked the mentioned setting and it is set to 'Stereo Headphones'. Possibly, the soundcard is out of order i will check that soon when i get another one from my mate.

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    In 99% of cases wher I need to determine if the problem is software or hardware I will pull out my Live OS CD collection..
    1st is the Bart Pe boot cd..(and in 90% of boards the only cd I use)
    I check for noise.. works.. go back to settings.. not work go check the hardware..

From the seems here .. if the Live OS test come up silent.. then I next check in the BIOS or on the mobo..
    on the mobo some boards have a jumper that disables the on-board sound - reseat it.. it may have become tarnished or victem to metal migration..
    In the BIOS.. check that the sound card hasnt become disabled..

seeing as the MoBo is 3 yrs old.. HOW is the Backup battery? you could have random setting changes due to a failing batrtery?
    yes this is a good point to check it using any bootable cd. The bios setting is allright the sound is enabled there. Some times my cmos is reset by itself and i think battery is also very weak.

Originally posted here by JewishIntent
    i had a similiar problem that turned out to be a prank played on me by a roomate. Open the sound control by doulbe-clicking on the icon in the bottom righ corner of your scree, makes sure you double-click and not single to open since they open two different things. Once this is open go to Options -> Properties and check all of the controls to show up. My friend had muted one of those then hid it so i couldn't see it without doing that and it fixed my problem. I have also heard that some programs that mess with sound settings sometimes dont set thjings back the way they were b4 and can cause this sort of issue.

Edit: Too little time at awork today to fix my spelling, think of it as a challenge 8-)
    yes the sound settings are allright.

Thanks