Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP problem, not booting

Windows XP problem, not booting

OK a few minutes ago I noticed a new update on Windows Update so I installed it. It needed of course to update the version of Windows update I was sing so it did that then I installed an update to Windows XP.... OK, fine, oh it needs a reboot, OK, reboot.

It then starts up, and when it came to the screen saying "Windows XP" and the three little blue bars scrolling scross the screen, it just sat there. Hmm, well it sat for a while so I shut it down. Start the laptop back up, and it tells me how it shut down imporperly.... OK, start normally. Nothing again, same thing.

I then shut down again, and tell it to revert back to when things were working.... It said this before booting up so I said OK go back to before there was a problem. Well it's on the same damn screen again showing the blue bars and no HD activity at all.

It's not hardware. Linux boots up fine.

Has anyone EVER seen this before? It just sits there saying it's booting up Windows with the bars scrolling, and sits there.

EDIT:

It booted into safe mode and I'm doing a restore to a few days ago right now. So right now it's restoring.... Hopefully this work. Can't understand why it did this..... There were no crashes, nothing. Can't think of a reason for it.

EDIT Part 2:

I fixed it.... It's now booting up. However I don't think I'm going to trust Windows update much anymore...

Hi Gore

Can you boot into safe mode? if so maybe you can go in to add/remove and uninstall the latest update, or do a system restore, there probably (if it is enabled/on) is a restore point just prior to downloading and installing updates, I believe Windows Updates does this automatically if the System Restore function is enabled/on.

The safe boot menu should also give you an option to go back to last known good configuration.

Edit: okay ignore previous paragraph....you guys type way to fast......

Hope the restore works for you....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Right now I'm doing a scan..... Don't think anything is on there the only reason Windows gets booted is for some games. No email no web surfing.... I do all that in Linux or BSD where I don't need to worry about it.

EDIT:

After the scan I'm going to Windows update to see if I can pint out the updates I installed... That way the people here with XP can try them out and see if their installs don't work anymore.

The only thing I did with the system was install those updates and reboot as it said to so there is no way something else was at fault here. Not that this is anything new I've heard of countless people installing Windows updates and then something breaks.

AOs Resident Troll
    From my experience updates usually knock out drivers.....

I would say its probably video....I have seen funkiness with sound and modems too

or maybe a conflict with some app during startup....

Like to know what update it was...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I got a problem similiar to this once, I updated windows, and reboot..but the bars just stopped scrolling across...1 out of the 2 times it happened on my computer, I just did a window restore, the 2nd time, i just shut down and turned it back on 30 minutes later and it worked fine...apparantly it needed to cool down?

The other time it happened on my brothers computer (because of a faulty shutdown), we fixed it by doing a system restore.... glad to hear you fixed it though, I haven't installed the new updates yet, gonna install it, see if I mess up my computer :-p
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

So far scans aren't finding anything, so I'm going to check Windows update for the exact names. It was not a critical update, but it said it had security fixes. Unless it was the update to Windows update itself...... Waiting for Windows update to load on my laptop..... FINALLY.

Updates I installed :

Windows Genuine Advantage Valid....

Update for Windows XP (KB912945)

Update for Windows XP (KB904942)

The updates are all for IE. Except that first one... After they installed I rebooted and it would no longer boot past the screen with the little blue bars WHICH I LOVE SO MUCH BECAUSE IT HIDES SYSTEM MESSAGES.

^Another reason I "Bash"... Why can't Windows show you something NOT pretty for a change? I would LOVE to see system messages instead of "Microsoft Windows XP [] [] [] "

Originally posted here by Raion
    I got a problem similiar to this once, I updated windows, and reboot..but the bars just stopped scrolling across...1 out of the 2 times it happened on my computer, I just did a window restore, the 2nd time, i just shut down and turned it back on 30 minutes later and it worked fine...apparantly it needed to cool down?

The other time it happened on my brothers computer (because of a faulty shutdown), we fixed it by doing a system restore.... glad to hear you fixed it though, I haven't installed the new updates yet, gonna install it, see if I mess up my computer :-p
    **** like this and I get flamed for "Windows bashing".... No APs in cosmos because people were being negged for their opinion. But if you do the same thing about an OS and you are actually showing reasons why you're pissed, you get negged or flamed anyway.

*Sigh* Watching it scan for "spyware" now. Anyway, I'm goign to play on my Slackware boxes. And load Windows update on that.... Lol.

AOs Resident Troll
    Gore

Did you ever install the beta IE 7.0 on the box??

MLF

edit>

OK I just ran Windows update...and all I got was the validation tool...no other critcal updates

I did not get the KB912945 update...active x ??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912945

and I cant find any reference to KB90492

ummmm

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Took that and everything else off. And now it works..... I scanned with two different tools and they found nothing... Anyway, I've taken off all the "extras" like new IE and so on.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Ah geez, gore you just love bashing windows...

I've had problems with linux as well, like having to do extra work just to make my NIC work... You don't see me bashing linux do you?

So you messed up your MBR, nothing a simple system restore couldn't fix...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools