Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hijacked by HP

Hijacked by HP

*note: If this is in the wrong area just move it and I apologize beforehand.

I've heard about this but I didn't really understand until it happened to me. Due to HP's "updates" I can now no longer uninstall a wide variety of my programs. (For the life of me, why they feel they must update an OS thats not under their control is completely misguided.)

One example of this is my Age of Empires III demo. (see picture below) This is absoluetly the last straw. I've tried uninstalling everything HP, but the same code that prevents me from uninstalling soem programs, prevents me from uninstalling the HP stuff. As you can see in the screenshot Theres a whole bunch of HP specific programs like All-in-One(AiO)

First of all any advice on how to get this crapware off? Second, if I can't get it off, could I in some way sue or get retribution from HP?

Have you tried using DOS. Or maybe regedit. Of course this only works with windows OS. I don't know about sueing HP.

Wipe it out and start over. Fact is, the more stuff you install on a Windows box, the worse it runs.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    some more details please

machine specs :
    etc

I have had something like this on an EMachine, whereby HP D/Led updates to it, but you had to click the 'allow' button

[edit]
    Wipe it out and start over. Fact is, the more stuff you install on a Windows box, the worse it runs.
    not straight away ........... otherwise what is the point of asking for help / advice ??
    try and remove / correct the fault first .............

THEN re-install is an option
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Foxy~ is quite right, reinstall is a last resort and not something I would like to do on an HP box without a proper Windows CD..............I think HP are still using a "hidden drive"?

Try Crap Cleaner:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

It is free and in the "tools" bit has an uninstaller. Remember that you will need Administrator rights and that you need to be very careful with shared files my advice would be to leave them unless they are in the same folder as the application you are deleting.

HP usually has a few startups, that if you don't want their updates or access to online help, you can disable with Startup Control Panel

Usually this stuff is on there as a result of being a OEM box and is designed to assist you if you have problems, if however you have passed the warranty date, then you really don't need HP updates, as long as you have the backup/recovery disks that were made when you first fired up the PC (or a recovery drive).

All-in-one usually refers to a printer/scanner/copier, you should have no problems uninstalling this, unless as was suggested you don't have administrative rights.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

IIRC CC Cleaner only removes the entry from the Uninstall Menu not actually from the machine?
    A way around it may be to delete the folder from the hard drive, and the run cc registry cleaner and remove the entrys from the registry.

I'm not sure I agree that HP is completely to blame. I see SpyTunes running in the bitmap pic. Spyware is like a couple rabbits... Of course, isn't this type of behavior to be expected from the big computer manufacturers? I bought a new Dell laptop a few years ago and it came with all kinds of Dell Alerts and Dell Auto update programs. I formatted and reloaded sans the spyware. Problem solved.

Like the others have mentioned, I would remove the entries from the Add/Remove program list, delete the program files and clean the registry. Of course, reloading the system would be quicker and cleaner but if that is not an option, then cleaning it is the way to go.

Joe

The problem is that I CAN"T remove this stuff. I've checked every uninstall, went through every one of the folders. You do know that to be in line with their warranty, you HAVE to d/l their stuff?
    If you'll notice in the pic, that the demo, which is NOT neccesary to computer functioning, I am unable to uninstall(lack of change/remove button.)

I need a program or a method or a reference to use to get rid of all of the HP programs. Any help would be appreciated. I've tried searching for a method to get rid of this stuff but no luck.

And spytunes? Do you mean iTunes?

Wouldn't altering the behaviour of my OS constitute a rootkit?

Well, I must admit that I haven't tried it, but Crap Cleaner definitely has a "Run Uninstaller" AND a "Delete Entry" button in the "Tools" section.

EDIT: another thought; have you tried uninstalling in safe mode ? Whatever is stopping you may not get started in that.