Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Active Directory

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Kieran is assuming a whole bunch of things about the configuration of the computer. It _might_ work against a local account but only if the local account is an admin - It won't work against a domain account - or at least, I'd be bloody surprised if it did since his code indicates a local resource though that is easy to change he won't have any rights to the domain account of a user in AD.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Ok do you happen to know a temporary user or have another user account to use?

AOs Resident Troll
    phew.............

I thought I was losing it for a sec there.

All that wine....finally started to affect my brain...

I think its just age

Thank god

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well... Since you bugged me enough I went and tried it....

Win2k box as a member of an AD domain.

Created users test and test2

Copied, pasted and appropriately edited your script. Ran it... No error message... No change in password...

Something is different about my box compared to yours...

Morgan: It's the wine.... You'll always look young to me...
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Can someone move this thread to tech humour!!

I think Kieran is confusing AD with local admin and local account stuff. In any case, if an account is non-protected with a specific unsecure password (such as "password", drowssap, "admin" and other common samples) you can programmatically force a change in the password by successfully guessing the correct unsecure password. However, the application probably (likely must) run as a local admin on the local system, or as a domain admin in the AD.

MLF is correct, we would need to see the step-by-step process used by Kieran, along with system and GP settings, and the credentials under which the process ran. The claims of access to changing passwords in the AD domain are only valid in a completely incorrectly configured AD. Yes, that can happen, and it ain't that difficult with all the double-negatives in Group Policy.

and it ain't that difficult with all the double-negatives in Group Policy.
    Ain't that the truth... I have to read the explanation three times on some of them... and then I'm still a little unsure...