Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solving A Puzzle from WWII

Solving A Puzzle from WWII

Anybody here up to the challenge????

HCEY ZTCS OPUP PZDI UQRD LWXX FACT TJMB HDVC JJMM ZRPY IKHZ AWGL YXWT MJPQ UEFS ZBCT VRLA LZXW VXTS LFFF AUDQ FBWR RYAP SBOW JMKL DUYU PFUQ DOWV HAHC DWAU ARSW TXCF VOYF PUFH VZFD GGPO OVGR MBPX XZCA NKMO NFHX PCKH JZBU MXJW XKAU OD?Z UCVC XPFT
    This is one of two that were found after the war, and have yet to be unencrypted, even the old "enigma" machine is unable to crack the code...

Very interesting article from the BBC.Nazi Codes

Amazing what the original code crackers had to work with back in the 1940's, and only pure luck in getting a hold of one of these "enigma" machines, otherwise things may have turned out differently.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Enigma didn't work?!? Ouch. Well - I think will check this out from home later and jump in meebe. I wonder if my past crypto instructors are working on this? Here's the Krah's M4 Project Site:

http://www.bytereef.org/m4_project.html

Amazing though - when I first started searching - just how many different types of "M4 Projects" there were... forgot to include Krah's name at first - DOH!:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...n&q=project+M4
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This is an example of a polyalphabetic cipher. What you need is the keyword used to encipher this text and the actual multiple alphabet cipher used. I know that I've seen popular Nazi keywords used in these types of messages. Perhaps you can start trying some.

Obviously, the Nazis were aware of frequency analysis.

If you want to see an example of a polyalphabetic cipher, take a look at the Vigenere cipher.

Best of luck.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Banned
    and only pure luck in getting a hold of one of these "enigma" machines
    There were actually two Enigma variants, and the Allies were only able to get one. The second one had an extra wheel IIRC, and was far more complex.

I'm assuming this "code" would be in 1940's German?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I got it .........

message to interpol :
    please send flowers to my mum for her birthday
    message to read sorry I won't be there love Fritz
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Surely the CIA is able to crack it, they're just not ready to
    let the world know yet.

Hmmm.............

During the war, teams of codebreakers based at Bletchley Park, in the UK, scrambled to unravel German communications in an attempt both to undermine the German war machine and to save the lives of soldiers and seamen.
    But who gives a damn about the City of Coventry and its citizens?...................Churchill is to blame for that one...............

Yes, Churchill and Roosevelt had a lot in common..........a pair of matched dog turds on the sidewalk! Roosevelt would not even have joined if Hirohito had not given him a nudge..............as for WWI, well Twatchill was first sea lord?...........and the Lusitania was a British ship, and it was carrying a lot of wealthy Americans.............and it was in "Jane's Fighting Ships" (bit odd for a passenger liner?)...................

As for the "U-Boat" stuff, that is total nonsense. It was ASDIC and RADAR that got to them........they have to breathe, and even a snorkel unit could be detected. And flying boats such as the Short Sunderland and Consolidated Catalina were deadly...........the sub didn't even know that they were there.

We knew that the Germans knew where our convoys were, we knew they would attack...........big deal? and what's new? you don't need a codebreaker for that, you need more bloody destroyers and frigates.

Ack! Phtt! "historians"?................ you have got to be joking?

Hi nihil

I know you are a deeper thinker then that:
    But who gives a damn about the City of Coventry and its citizens?...................Churchill is to blame for that one
    If Churchill had of evacuated Coventry, the Nazi's would have known that their precious codes were broken and would have changed them, which would probably have prolonged the war...not good, I don't want to make light of the citizens of Coventry and their sacrifice, but I believe London was not spared much of what Hitler was throwing at England during the blitz, so everyone wether they liked it or not, made sacrifices, right?

As for ASDIC and RADAR, these didn't come about until later in the game, what really stopped the U-Boats were the fact that they developed the "Snorkel" too late, if they had of had that at the start, then they would be able to stay submerged when doing their attacks and also avoid the corvettes which protect the convoys.Also Hitler and Canaris had a falling out, and like every other mistake Hitler made, the production of U-Boats fell off, and so the convoys improved their record of getting through the wolf packs.

Do you know how hard it is to see a periscope at sea, even in 5ft swells, or the North Atlantic, also all the ASDIC did was report back that there was an object at a certain depth, could be a whale, when a Diesel Sub goes Ultra quiet and slips under a thermal layer, no sonar on this planet is going to find it. Radar was only good if the sub was on the surface, so being a sub, they were submerged a lot....

The fact that we knew the codes during the war, probably saved more lives then lost??

Claude Swanson

Hey dalek

Depth?............down six-fifty, full left rudder (Perisher I and Perisher II?)

My complaint is about the pseudo historians that are emerging..........they don't understand the full impact. Sure Coventry was sacrificed, but the enigma machine was never a big deal in ASW. Both sides were comitted by then?

Depth?............down six-fifty, full left rudder (Perisher I and Perisher II?)
    Hey nihil...you familiar with those? I was on one in 79, we had 3 Brits, 1 Aussie and 1 Canadian and 1 Dutch trying it out, man the Dutch guy was a hoot, in the middle of an exercise he would revert to his native tongue, what a laugh watching the helmsman trying to understand him, was okay though one of our Sonar types just happend to come from Holland and so he became the helmsman during the Dutch skippers exercises. Was a great 3 weeks, it was the finals as well, they all passed, we had to drag the Dutchman through though, as teacher wasn't too keen on him, I think the more emotional/stressed he got, the harder it was to articulate his instructions in English, which of course for perishers is a requirement.

(one of the hardest courses on the planet 6 Months classroom and 6 Months operational, and then the perishers final exams, you flunk, your off boats forever, you pass, and your a golden boy, fast tracked for promotions in the fleet, which is funny as most operational posts for a sub skipper is 2 yrs long, then it's onto the surface fleet, pretty intense stuff)

My complaint is about the pseudo historians that are emerging..........they don't understand the full impact. Sure Coventry was sacrificed, but the enigma machine was never a big deal in ASW. Both sides were comitted by then?
    I concur....

Dolphin Code: 16 (A)

Claude Swanson