Noticeable difference?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticeable difference?

Noticeable difference?

I have recently become a little dissatisfied with the speed of my pc and its ability to multi task. I currently am running 512mb of ram in 2 256 sticks. I really dont need a big boost to performance, its just running my online addiction, FF XI, winamp, and a downloading program all at the same time tends to make my game run a tad on the slow side for me so i am looking for a small boost. If i were to upgrade one of those 256 sticks to a 512, would there be much of a difference, or would i be better off going for 2 512 sticks, my mobo only has 2 ram slots.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

AOs Resident Troll
    If this is XP...

Best way to boost performance...is RAM ..XP runs in memory

Video card with lots o ram....so video doesnt use your system RAM

and harddrive speed...

I have noticed a considerable performance boost with my new serial ATA harddrive...I think it is 7200....but not sure.. (computer was under warranty and took it to the shop to fix...cause I am far too busy lately with database issues)

Everything is running better

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    First off all.. You need to take a closer look at your RAM usage.. In perticular wheter or not your machine is swapping stuff into the pagefile.. If you see an increase in pagefile usage adding memory can help.. If the pagefile is hardly used adding more memory will be a waste of money..

Perhaps one of the programs in the background is hogging the cpu?

I don't play games that much but when I do I kill everything running just to make sure my game gets all the resources..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

before put money on memory sticks. it would better to take a look at your system performance to see what is the major cause of your game delay. For example, if its CPU cycles, adding more RAM cant add much more performance.

About upgrading just one stick or both... if ou change just one its better to get one "compatible" to the one that will remain on slot. Sometimes its hard to get (if your currents ones are old -- 2 years or more) a match and the new stick start to "fight" with the older one.
    If you can afford, go direct to 1GB of RAM. Its the current "minimal" for an average gamer on Windows :>
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Ok i am running Windows XP Pro with sp2

2.2gig amd proc

160gig 7200 rpm hdd

~7gig of hdd space is already dedicated to virtual memory

I have already looked into compatability and i can get a 512 stick that will not fight with the 256 stick

Video card is a geforce 5700 LE 256mb

The problem with checking my system performance is that SE, company that made FF, programmed it so that if i am runnign the game and attempt to minimize or do anything the tries to move FF away from the focus it crashes. Due to this i cant run it and check at the same time. Is there a third party program out there that will allow me to record system performance while playing my game?
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi there JI~

How long have you had this machine?
    Do you ever reboot it?
    When did you last defragment it?
    When did you last do a clean reinstall of Billy Windows?

How many things have you got on automatic update?

I hope that you can see where I am coming from?

Cheers,

Johnno

EDIT: And what are the names of the Siamese cats, and do you have any recent photos..........please tell Mom I do my best to keep this site security orientated

How long have you had this machine: ~ 1 year

Do you ever reboot it: Constantly

When did you last defragment it: at least once a week on sunday sometimes on wednesday as well

When did you last do a clean reinstall of Billy Windows: ~1 month ago

How many things have you got on automatic update: 4 3 av programs and the program that came with DSL

Edit: Um Nihil how the HELL did you know about my cats????? I just got them monday. . . . . The 2 year old red point is named Osiris and the 3 month old blue point has yet to be named. I do have some pictures of them at home and will post them after i get off work if you really do want to see them.
    Benjamin Franklin

AOs Resident Troll
    The problem with checking my system performance is that SE, company that made FF, programmed it so that if i am runnign the game and attempt to minimize or do anything the tries to move FF away from the focus it crashes.
    This sounds to be a driver issue...

Make sure you have stable drivers for your Video and mouse

Had a problem with Autocad and a mouse driver...had to go to a previuos version to resolve

MLF

This sounds to be a driver issue
    unfortunatly its not. SE purposely programmed the game this way in an attempt to avoid botting. For those of you reading the thread that don't know botting is when you have aprogram set up to control your char while you are away. SE has come out and said that they did it this way on purpose. The only way i can get around this is by useing a "windower" which is a program that fools the game into thinking its full screen when its actually windowed, but i will not use that type of a program because it is against the EULA and is a bannable offense.
    Benjamin Franklin

AOs Resident Troll
    SE purposely programmed the game this way in an attempt to avoid botting
    Hardware is not gonna help much then....

Throw in a gig of RAM...XP loves RAM...you will notice a difference

MHO as always

MLF