Research for possible book...

Thread: Research for possible book...

Post Research for possible book...

Hello all-

I haven't been on much lately for my own reasons. However, when visiting the doc today, I start telling him about something I am trying out to get back to taking an interest in reading and learning. I start telling him about a story I am working on... and while feigning interest he asks what I do now for a living. I was going to say "Professional Smart-ass" or from "History of the World - Part I", a "Stand-up Philosopher" - you know a BS-Artist! Heh - well I thought it was funny, and so did some of the voice in my head. ANYway - tell him about being an IT auditor and explaining a bit about the "hat variants" in regard to hacking.

And with a big smile on his face, he says in his Russian accent "Actually, I think a story about this stuff would be very entertaining, if not educational, considering how people rely on technology so much and the general public only hears and sees what is on the TV or in movies."

So that got me thinking, "Well maybe... but could this be interesting?" Continuing on, could there be twists? What would the plot be? Would my doctor want partial credit if the thing every got published? Should I ask for my own trailer when the movie shooting starts? Will my PA bring my the appropriately chilled "organic" water - Heh. Well anyways, I am going to start researching for a possible book to write about hacking and/or IT security and will be using AO as part of that research, and of course for giving credit - especially if this thing gets published - but don't hold your collective breaths on that one. I want the technical detail to be valid, but not so deep that people not associated with this field wouldn't understand it - or worse - be bored. If there is something you would like to see or not in this type of book - let me know! And guess what - my interest in reading, learning and contributing have been renewed, just in 30 seconds of talking with the Doc and coming back to AO today!

So it begins...
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Banned
    Hey, good idea and good luck. If I was't already hip-deep in my own writing project, I'd try to race you to the publisher with this one. But, if you need to bounce any ideas around, holler.

Originally posted by Rapier57

Hey, good idea and good luck. If I was't already hip-deep in my own writing project, I'd try to race you to the publisher with this one. But, if you need to bounce any ideas around, holler.
    Cool - thanks I will. The plot is the sticky thing - how does one make it interesting for the general public while still being technically correct? I was also hoping to edumacate the peoples at the same time - not too much though - they still need to be entertained.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

The Prancing Pirate
    Hi genXer,

I advise reading the "Stealing the Network" series - they're very entertaining, and you will certainly get some ideas for the plot by reading them. As you go along the books, jot down any ideas, methods, tools or whatever which you think could help bring your own story to life, and apart from that - I wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,

-jk
    TAZForum <---- click