Thread: Professor assigns hacking homework to students

Professor assigns hacking homework to students

looks like how security training could be abused

According to the SANS Institute a professor at an undisclosed university recently assigned a practical for his computer-security class.

The practical, which is worth 15 percent of the students final grade, requires students to perform reconnaissance on an internet server using open source security tools.

While the university is allowing the practical to continue it has also stated that the techniques should not be performed on their own web servers. If students are caught performing any scans against university computers then it would prompt: "Disabling their student account and referring them to the Student Dean of Corrections."

Apparently the university considers it ok to mandate students to perform the scans on other internet servers, just not their own.

A recent update to the blog has indicated that the professor may be reconsidering the assignment.
    source: http://www.securitydump.com/content141.html
    For more information: http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1155
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

mmkhan

This was discussed at length some days ago......................I cannot recall the thread, but it was something like "This made me laugh" or "They have got to be joking"

" And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Thanks for that IKnowNot

It was an interesting discussion.

A recent update to the blog has indicated that the professor may be reconsidering the assignment.

I hope so, that is a "can of worms" that nobody needs to open...
    there's always a way in...

God, how exciting, see what you miss when you go on holiday for a couple of days.

Sunny Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

sorry guys i think i have missed the discussion so wasn't aware of that.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?