Sockscap32 and proxy questions

Thread: Sockscap32 and proxy questions

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Post Sockscap32 and proxy questions

Hi there every1 In South Africa we work on a capping system where as when you reach for Gigabyte usage you get capped and can only surf local content, game servers in south africa etc. My questions are as follows: 1. When I am capped I have access to an ullimited usage of my proxy. It goes much slower than my usual connection however this is all I have. I play games alot so logging into steam(cs, dod etc) has to go to internationals servers to log in then I play on south africas local server. I would just like to know what program I can use so that the application(steam or whatever) goes through my proxy so I can actually log in and how exactly I configure it. I have tried everything to my knowledge however I just cant seem to get it right. If anyone has any advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. I sort of got all my queries into that one question. I await your replies.
    Last edited by Cider; June 11th, 2013 at 06:39 AM.

Re: Sockscap32 and proxy questions

Originally posted here by Cider
    Hi there every1

>snip<

I would just like to know what program I can use so that the application(steam or whatever) goes through my proxy so I can actually log in and how exactly I configure it. I have tried everything to my knowledge however I just cant seem to get it right. If anyone has any advice on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

I sort of got all my queries into that one question.

I await your replies.

Thank you
    Tyron Rohland
    Most likely, you're going to have to get the proxy admins to allow connections on non-standard ports... specifically, whichever ones that the Steam log in application uses.

Here's HalfLife info...

Half Life 2 Steam --- TCP 27020-27039 --- UDP1200,27000-27015

Or, some way to tunnel the data from the log-in application through whatever ports the proxy is using (80 for sure).

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You're being "packet shaped"... There isn't much you can do about it because no matter where you try to go out through they still know where you originate from... Break the limit and they revert you to the Terms of Service... Paying them more would probably work...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

the answer to one of your questions is in the title of this thread. SocksCap32 will point any internet app to the proxy but the proxy that your using has to be socks compliant to work with SocksCap. almost all the public proxies on the internet are not socks proxys.

configuring it is very stright foward in SocksCap.

but if after you've set the ip address and the port the proxy is using (1080?) and you have 'socksified'<sp> the app you want to use by adding it to sockscap using the add button, (and running it from there) and you've supplied a valid user name and password you find it's not working it's probably not a socks proxy or at least not a public one. to be able to use a socks proxy for any application there is usually a membership fee involved.

but like TS has said you're still going to be capped
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Ok thanks for the replies guys. Is there any other way I can for example connect to steam while im capped? Someone must have a way...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I think I failed to mention a few quotes aboth the proxy. Sorry about that. When I reach my cap which is 3 Gigs international bandwidth I recieve an unlimited 192 proxy from my isp. They have supplied me with [ HTTP: local1.servegame.com Port 80] and Secure socks.opendns.co.za Port 80] now on there forums http://openweb.co.za/openweb/index.php/topic,22.0.html and other posts there , they have said that sockscap does work with steam etc. However I dont know which to insert into the sockscap setting , whether its the http or secure on and which port to use. Also programs like limewire have been posted there and people seem to get them working with the proxy when they are capped reaching speeds of upto 50kb per second which is extremely fast here in south africa to download internationally. I have posted on there forums however they dont seem to replay or unwilling to help me. Its a very small community on their forums not like here on AO. I think I have given all the information I can give so if anyone can help. And btw AO has been extremely good to me referring to the quick replies and insight. THanks guys for helping a fellow out.

Thank you
    Tyron Rohland
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

cider use:

socks.opendns.co.za Port 80

i dont know much about steam. in fact i know nothing. but the way to add an application to sockscap is to click the button marker "Add". then just navigate to the program's main executable and add it.

when you want to use the proxy double-click the icon created for this added program in sockscap to start it. if you dont want to use the proxy start the program as you did before "Start Menu>>Program Files>>whatever"

a little hint: you can drag and drop the icon created in sockscap to your desktop and not have to open the sockscap window to use the proxy
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”