Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive Data Recovery

there are other ways to power a HDD than a pc's PSU..

there are such a device as variable voltage PSU's..

12.3 volts sounds a bit sus.. as that is with in the 10% that many (cheap) PSU's work with in.. the good PSU's are better than 5%.. so the .3v is still with in the 5%..

certainly you could set up a test bench with a fixed 5v and a variable 12 source..

If there is a problem with the HDD motor.. a voltage boost ONLY on the cotroller output could bring a temporary life to the drive.. most reliable is as mentioned.. clean room, remove platters..

Sick motors kill more controllers than anything else..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Undies~ I have heard of the variable voltage concept. The idea was to put the drive in a working machine on its own IDE cable with its own Molex. It was suggested that the slight difference in voltage might bring the drive back to life.

My personal scepticism makes me think that riving the drive about in removal and re-attachment, plus the possibility of a slightly dodgy PSU in the original machine were more likely explanations

A couple of other "methods" are "spin the bottle" (spin offending drive a few times on a flat surface) and the hairdryer

I guess that I share The Duck's paranoia, and think that the guy is a con artist.

I guess that I share The Duck's paranoia, and think that the guy is a con artist.
    hmm not so much a con, more a BS artist

I think the point we all make is no one method is the be all and end all of data recovery. as there are tricks (like the voltage boost and the freezer approach..) that people use to recover SOME data, no one method is 100% (more hit and miss), the reliable methods are expensive and time consuming..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well what he said is the extra 5.3 volts actually bring the heads closer to the platter which IMO would make it touch the platter. I'm not even sure when this would be useful because thesea are thing things I normally come across.

Bad Controller- Swap it out with an identicle and prey it works
    Bad Motor- Nothing but a clean room will help
    Clicking or does no ID in post- Tapping, freezing, tilting sometimes help
    Other? Im not sure how this would help?

Hmmm,

Well what he said is the extra 5.3 volts actually bring the heads closer to the platter
    That just has to be bullcrap. As Undies~ pointed out, he is talking 5.3v as against 5.0 volts. That has to be within the tolerances of average quality kit.

Anyway, why should the head distance be a problem? Mostly a dead drive means the motor or the controller.

I cannot think of a single instance where I have not been able to recover most of the data provided that I could get the drive to spin up.

Yeah well thats good to know he is probably telling me BS. He is a local guy who is willing to fix the power connectors on notebooks and if he is lying about that I don't want him to be working with us...