Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does my ISP know?

Angry What does my ISP know?

Ok...

I realised that my ISP can scan my computer and know a
    whole lot of information that I may not want them to know, such as websites
    that I visit, and they're probably reading my emails too.

So, how do I block or stop them from doing it?

I already have a firewall.

Encrpyt your traffic with SSH a tunnel thats out of your ISP's reach, check this link - http://neworder.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=12498

You could also try Tor from EFF, that encrypts traffic prior to transmission to the first "hop"

i2c

edit: BTW, the neworder example isnt what you want to be doing, but it'll enlighten you as to what else to search for on google, I think Neworder even has a tutorial describing what you want to do. - http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/19/2218226

To get to the internet you have to go threw their servers. no way around it. but there are services that you can subscribe to that allow you encrypted communication with their proxy. ive seen them while searching for other proxys but i dont remember the names. as far as email goes that would be covered by the above if you use web mail. all traffic will appear to the ISP as only between you and the proxy (which it is) while the data the proxy sends and the requests you make to it cannot be read without decryption.

the down side is encrypting will draw attention to you. the NSA or Homeland might decide they need to know why your encrypting. if you send allot of sensitive information look into PGP if not dont write anything you wouldn't send on a post card.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

http://pgp.com

also comes with PGP shredder for getting rid of encrypted files when your finished with then also the files dont ahve to be encrypted for you to use it
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Thank you...

From what I've read so far on SSH tunneling with server, is that you'll
    need to have the same setup on both sender & recipient machines, in order to
    do the encrypt/decprypt task.

Not that I mind my ISP from knowing that I have a server, but I think TOR
    suits better.

I've used TOR+Privoxy to surf the net before, just not sure on how
    to encrpyt email contents information with it.

Broomiebar

I realised that my ISP can scan my computer and know a whole lot of information that I may not want them to know, such as websites that I visit, and they're probably reading my emails too.
    Why would they want to do such a thing? they are a commercial organisation are they not?..........time is money and resource is cost. What commercial gain is there in it for them?

Now, they might be forced to give access to security and law enforcement agencies who might do such a thing, but I can assure you that your ISP is not doing it as a matter of course...........there is no money in it for them.

OK, if they are a state monopoly then you have a problem..............the same problem as anyone who lives in a police state?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Nihil:

Why would they... He's running a server... Breach of TOS...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Tiger~

I see what you are getting at, but wouldn't they just pull the plug rather than monitor him and read his e-mails?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I was only referring to why the ISP may scan etc.

I would agree that they probably could care less about his email etc.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

My thinking was that you might be able to get a shell account that will allow you to use SSH tunnelling, im unsure whether shell accounts allow in and outbound sockets? i dont know.

All about the box, its all about the box..and outside of it.

i2c