Installing your CPU
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing your CPU

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Installing your CPU

Hi there everyone

I am going to be building my computer myself soon so I would like to know more about the CPU installation. I have read duke's tutorial, "building your own pc, part 1 and 2" and other articles however I am still very nervous about doing the CPU, heatsink and fan part. I dont want to blow it or fry it as you guys say. Could someone explain in detail just the installation of your CPU from scrath. Also could you please specify what exactly you need, eg heatsink, thermal etc. Any comments will be a ppreciated.

Thanks

Hi Cider and welcome to the club.

First thing is to chill out and relax. Make sure you have a clear working area and your tools, components and instructions to hand.

#1. Make sure that you have an earthing band (wrist strap) or that you regularly touch the bare metal of the case. Static electricity kills CPUs

#2. The processor should be ZIF (zero insertion force) so if it doesn't just drop in, you have gotten it wrong. There should be a little dot and/or a corner cut off to show you the correct alignment.

#3. Make sure that the heatsink is approved for your make/model of processor. I do not trust the ones that come with the retail packs (OK I am an OEM builder) as they will be minimum requirements.

#4 Thermal compound. DO NOT use the white gunk that comes with the heatsink........ get some silver based compound (Arctic Silver, Antec or whatever) This is 2000% more efficient.

#5 You need a razor blade, stiff plastic strip or whatever. Apply a thin coat to the bottom of the heatsink and an amount about half the size of a grain of rice to the centre of the processor.

#6 Please remember that you can use too much, and that you can cause short-circuits if it gets in the wrong place. It is a lot easier to add a little bit more than to remove excess

#7 Take your time, don't rush................

Good luck!

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Thank you very much. I will let you know my results.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I'm assuming you mean my tutorials ? About ZIF sockets, there will be a little lever on the side of the cpu socket, pull the lever out and then up and drop the processor in (you will see the little cut corner that nihil is talking about when you see it), then close the lever.

Heatsink and fan installations depend on the type of socket of the processor, follow the instructions that come with the heatsink and fan.

It would be in your best interest to follow nihil's advice, especially 4-6.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

hi Cider,
    welcome to AO.
    As per Nihil instruction you can not go wrong.
    In my own experience i was little bit scared to try to do it by myself first time.It would be great if you have friend who knows about building pc to help guide you.
    I found a lot of sites which shows you to install the components in pictures. Reading a few of them helps you to be more and more confident. Goodle about specific components.Read, read and read.
    Print the pictures of instaling the components and have them in front of you.This helps believe me.Here few articles maybe good to refresh the memory:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?clie...=Google+Search
    http://www.gen-x-pc.com/build4.htm
    http://www.google.com.au/search?clie...=Google+Search
    good luck

Blast From the Past
    too much heat cream killed my first CPU... i used about... 2 grams worth on a K7 AMD...it stopped working shortly after
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I have a question, what is the exact purpose of thermal paste? I'm confused about that. And is it entirely nesseccary? Because my current computer and my brothers computer neither have thermal past (his is socket 939, mine is so old i forgot the numbers but I think it's 370 or something) ..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Thermal paste or grease *should* be used sparingly. It's intention is to fill the naturally occuring gaps and imperfections on the surface of the CPU. This helps the heatsink and the CPU get maximum surface connectivity and thus thermal conductivity...if those gaps aren't filled with the paste or another heat conductor, the air in them can act as an 'insulator' and make heat flow from the CPU to the heatsink uneven.

You'll need to check the specs on whatever product you use (if you even need any...some heatsinks come with a pad of 'stuff' already in place for the CPU to moosh against (highly technical term there, "moosh"). Often, you will spread a THIN layer on the face of the heatsink and then scrape the excess of with a razor or similar item, then apply it to the CPU. But its been years, and the techniques may be quite different nowadays.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

AFLAAACKKK!!
    some heatsinks come with a pad of 'stuff' already in place for the CPU to moosh against
    If your heatsink comes with a thermal pad then I strongly recommend you remove it with a Q-tip and Isopropyl alcohol. It's effectiveness doesn't even come close to good thermal paste.

You'll probably have to scrub it off with multiple Q-tips because those damn pads are not easy to get off .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Well the computer will run perfectly fine without thermal paste right? (but more efficently with thermal paste)
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!