Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused!Different between AP and W/Router

Question Confused!Different between AP and W/Router

Hello there,

I'm trying to deploy a wireless network(1st time on wifi) and i need some advice.
    The main purpose of the WLAN just for internet surfing. Then i'm confused about the wireless router and access point. Which one should i use? I'm getting the internet from a switch and only one port available now.

The rest is used for wired LAN. There will 10 clients using the wifi on a 2 storey building. Adding the problem there are at least 5 rooms each. Location from the switch to the building is about 50-60m away.

Now im thinking :
    1.should i feed the internet from the switch directly to a AP or i need a w/router.
    2.is it possible linking several AP to get a good coverage? (can an AP linked?)
    3.or using w/router at 1st floor, then put the AP at ground floor using w/router ethernet port?

Any tips or idea are most welcome,Thanks...
    I can predict anything, except future!

Hi,

Access point-
    An access point is the connection that ties wireless communication devices into a network. Also known as a base station, the access point is usually connected to a wired network. Most Wi-Fi networks have a range of up to 150 feet but the access point range can be extended through the use of repeaters, which can amplify the network's radio signal.
    Router-
    A device that determines the next network point to which a data packet should be forwarded enroute toward its destination. The router is connected to at least two networks and determines which way to send each data packet based on its current understanding of the state of the networks it is connected to. Routers create or maintain a table of the available routes and use this information to determine the best route for a given data packet.
    1.should i feed the internet from the switch directly to a AP or i need a w/router.

It appears that what you want is an access point. What you could do is connect the switch to the access point via a cat5 cable, and then the access point would broadcast the connection wirelessly.

2.is it possible linking several AP to get a good coverage? (can an AP linked?)

IIRC it is possible, but you'd be much better off just buying a wireless repeater. These are much cheaper and will simply extend the signal, so you will get much better wireless coverage. I advise buying the access point first and seeing how far it reaches - and then deciding how many repeaters you need to buy..

3.or using w/router at 1st floor, then put the AP at ground floor using w/router ethernet port?

I don't really understand what you're saying here.. But I advise the previous two steps ^^. That's probably the cheapest and most suitable option. I also suggest putting the access point on the top floor, because it is meant to give better coverage throughout the building - but that will depend on where the switch is

Cheers,

-jk

hi J_K9,

It appears that what you want is an access point. What you could do is connect the switch to the access point via a cat5 cable, and then the access point would broadcast the connection wirelessly.
    can the AP manage the whole 10 clients if they connect simutanously

I don't really understand what you're saying here..
    usually there is an ethernet port on wireless router. i mean CAT5 from switch connect to wireless router. then on ground floor there will an AP, which plugged to the ethernet port on the wireless router.

I also suggest putting the access point on the top floor, because it is meant to give better coverage throughout the building - but that will depend on where the switch is
    distance between switch to AP/building <100m. ~50-60m.

BTW i'm thinking using Linksys WAP54GPE that has power over ethernet. Does anyone know any AP that has this feature?

When you say you are connecting to a switch - is this on an already existing network where you are?

When you say you are connecting to a switch - is this on an already existing network where you are?
    yes, existing network. 1 port left on the switch from 24port

Personally I would go for the router option, even the chepest belkin/lynksys ones can support upto 64 wireless hosts, maybe throw in a repeater if you start experiencing attenuation.

u mean a wireless router only? no need AP?
    so from the switch -->wireless router. blind spot, use repeater. right?
    can't the AP alone handle it if connect directly to switch?

Does the existing switch do NAT routing? Will it support multiple
    clients? If you are only getting one public ip address you will need
    a NAT router, like a wireless linksys router. It will also be your
    wireless access point and support as many clients as you want.

If the switch already has that feature, all you need is the wireless
    AP
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I'm thinking connecting the switch to another wired router, then put the 3 AP on the router to get a wide coverage. It's more expensive using a repeater or expander.

BTW i heard that the AP itself can act as an repeater. Is it true? The AP pick a signal the retransmit it.