Extreme nudity in here. Please do not enter.

Thread: Extreme nudity in here. Please do not enter.

Extreme nudity in here. Please do not enter.

Man it is so easy to get your attention.

So anyway, I'm curious. Does ANYBODY EVER CHECK THIS about golliwogs???

Shop owner vows to keep selling golliwogs
    5th March 2006

A shop owner has pledged to continue selling toy golliwogs after three of them were seized by police investigating a complaint, it emerged today.

The dolls were removed from a window display at A&E Pettifer's store in the market town of Bromyard, Herefordshire, after a passer-by said they were offensive.

Following an investigation, West Mercia Police said it would not be pressing charges against the owner Donald Reynolds and confirmed the dolls would be returned to him.

Mr Reynolds said he had received strong support locally and would be continuing to sell the dolls, albeit from the back of the store.

The 53-year-old said the golliwogs - which come in small, medium and large sizes - had been on display for more than a week when the complaint was made last month.

He said he had sold more than 50 in that time and that the first two had flown off the shelves within 10 minutes of putting them in the window.

Mr Reynolds said he never meant to cause offence.

He said: "I certainly didn't purchase them with that in mind. I didn't think about it at all. I just thought they would pretty up the shop."

Police seized the toys under Section 5 of the Public Order Act, which makes it an offence to display material which could be deemed threatening, abusive or insulting.

A force spokesman said no action would be taken against Mr Reynolds but that he would be sent a letter advising him about the sensitivities of placing such items on display.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    What the hell is golliwog?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    What the hell is golliwog?
    Google is your friend MsMittens. ;) :D

This is what he's referring to....Golliwog

Same sort of deal as Aunt Gemima, caricatures......I am surprised these things are still around and are on shop shelves.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

A bit of history here....

For years black children in the U.S. (and probably elsewhere but I only know about the U.S.) were rarely treated to dolls of their own color. Even rarer were home decorations and figurines of African origin. Most gifts therefore were games for girls, or dressed up
    golliwogs or critters such as kittens and puppies and other domestic animals.

Trade has changed home decoration and now there are amazing artifacts decorating my African-American friends' home and she has a collection of adorable black babies and older dolls because she never had any as a little girl - only white dolls.

My friend's shopping for the little ones in her family has now become a trip back into childhood for herself - having never experienced the joy of a little girl finding a doll to adopt and love...
    who looked just like her.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)