Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good SNMP Tools?

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Good SNMP Tools?

I'm looking for some good SNMP tools that a free/open source. I'd like something that will quickly look at an IP range/send to a broadcast address and return the name of all devices using SNMP (if I have the community string). I've played with snmpget, but it always times out on me or says "No Response". Tools for *nix or Windows would work for me as I use both platforms.

snmpwalk ?
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

AO Senior Cow-beller
    A good friend of mine wrote this awhile back, with the intention of trying to market the underlying code. He's been too busy to get very far with it, but the product is out there. You can download a trial, and it will do most of what you want. It does a network discovery, pingsweep with SNMP requests and everything, dns reverses, etc. Probably has a lot more than you want, but it should work. Windows only, I believe.

http://www.dbapsoftware.com/
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Here you go..........

Take a look at net-snmp........

http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

http://www.admwin.com/ has been highly recommended to me. they charge but do offer a 30 day trial...

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I've looked at the net-snmp tool set, and snmpwalk did work for me once I told it to use the right protocol version. I don't see where I can give the tools an IP range though, just one IP.

You could cat a file containing a list of the IP's into snmpwalk and out put it to a file with the IP as the file name.

cat ip-file |
    while read x
    do
    snmpwalk {options} $x > $x-file
    done

would this help you?
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.

Well I think for snmpwalk what it does is, once pointed to a SNMP enabled device, will walk that one device and then use the results returned to walk the other ones? Its been a while since I have done anything constructive with it, but if memory serves there was the option for it to 'discover' the network once you pointed it to that first device...but like I said been a long time since I used it for anything constructive
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

If my memory serves me, I think a tool called Solarwinds had several nice snmp tools buit into it.

PuReWebDev
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by PuReExcTacy
    If my memory serves me, I think a tool called Solarwinds had several nice snmp tools buit into it.

PuReWebDev
    Thanks, it does, but it's not free.