Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PayPal Phishing Scam

PayPal Phishing Scam

I feel like such a baffoon. I am fairly informed yet I still fell victim to a PayPal phishing scam. What happens is that you will recieve an email stating you need to verify information regarding your Paypal account due to unauthorized login attempts. If you follow the link, like an idiot (like me) you will be taken to a page that asks you to verify payment information.

My checking account was cleared out and from what I was told by my bank's chief of security, this scam is originating from Romania. He said signs were pointing towards Romanian organized crime, and that there isn't anyone in that country willing to work with the banks to deal with this issue.

Lesson learned. Stay away from any email that is even faintly suspicious. And do not reply to any emails that ask for payment information.

Mmmmh ...that's umm ... never mind ...

Next time, if you get such a mail, you might check THIS SITE

And ... you do know that you can check the actual url that is in the mail, to see if it is legit ...view source ...heck for most OS's you can just pause your mouse pointer on the url and it shows you the actual one (especially if the mail is poorly made).

And another tip ...Paypal has it own security watch where you can check the current phishing scams.

It's a hard lesson you had to learn ... it's a shame so many people still fall for these scams, even after so much warnings...

[rant]And it's even worse that these scams keep happening, lazy a$$, uninspired, good for nothing Spoofballs (I kept it as clean as possible) [/rant].

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I feel for you that you have had to learn this way, and thankyou for bringing up the subject. I only first heard about phishing last week when I checked my hotmail account, and there were some emails from Chase asking for verification of my details. Well for starters, I don't have a chase account, I live in UK as a glorified Labourer, hardly JP Morgan clientelle, but if it had come from my bank, I probably might well have gone for it.

Not now though. Have some dot ingredients.

Junny Frund
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Yeah my brother feel for the same scam, except he figured out it was a scam AFTER he submitted his details so he called his bank, blocked his account and ordered a new card (with a new number thus canceling the old one)..

He couldnt see the URL though because his university email opens links in a popup window and doesn't display the URL which should be removed.. here is the one he recieved, not sure if it's the same one:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Raionic/scam.jpg

But they're semi-smart (this is the first phising scam website i actually click on, other scams probably do the same thing) you cant put specific usernames that they think people won't REALLY have..e.g bad words, "scammer" stuff like that...
    This is the scam website: http://www.telefonia-informatica.com...s/.us/move.htm
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Sometimes, the financial institution may restore the funds stripped from your account if you can show that they were the result of fraud, same with credit cards. Sorry to hear this.

Share this with your friends and neighbors. You would think that these scams wouldn't work today since PayPal, banks and E-Bay are continually telling their customers that they do not send this kind of information via email.

Simply ignore any email requesting pertinent banking/personal information.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Giving details over the internet for is a "no no". I am so paronoid over everything so im okay I use paypal alot and havent had any problems. However my sympathy goes out to you.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I can't blame PayPal or my bank. It was entirely due to my carelessness.

If you use ebay or paypal frequently there is the ebay toolbar which has a feature called Account Guard which is supposed to be able to tell you if you are at a phish-ed site as long as said site is pretending to be ebay, paypal or some site associated w/ either
    --
    Beware of geeks bearing gifts

e-bay??????????????????

PayPal?????????????????????

You get what you deserve, don't you?

Come on folks, you know the rules..........I would give them under 5 years..........hah! the scumbags are even having to advertise on TV in the UK............