Thread: Firewall on NT

Firewall on NT

Hello...

Does anybody know a desktop firewall that runs well on Windows NT (Pentium 3/4) with 256MB RAM? Is still there a version of Sygate that runs on NT? If it's not Sygate, then it's preferably free.

Background: This f/w is supposed to be installed on NT-based ATMs (yes, automated teller machines). Any comments/insights?

Thanks in advance.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

I believe support for Sygate has ended. It's still out there for downloading though. At least it was a couple of months back. 5.6 was the lastest version. Fwiw.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Banned
    Ummmm... Why on earth would you need a firewall on an ATM?

An ATM can be locked down far more tightly than a workstation, thereby eliminating the need for a firewall.

There really is no reason to add an extra service to a fixed purpose financial machine. You need every security advantage you can get.

Why is it running on an OS that is no longer supported?

Brokencrow, I knew that Sygate is no longer supported. NT is not either. My client still has enterprise license for Sygate. I'm not sure what would happen with the license with the recent Symantec acquisition. That's why a free F/W will be interesting to them.

Dopp, about the ATMs running NT, of course they're the existing ones that were purchased when (one of) the OS of choice was NT. And why running F/W on ATMs, well, they insisted on it. Yeah, I realized it's not a wise decision. (Imagine when you're about to draw some cash, the F/W prompts you if you would allow a program to access the Internet?)

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers