Thread: Question about CDP (cisco discovery protocol)

Question about CDP (cisco discovery protocol)

Currently i have CDP enabled on a router and a few switches connected to the router. Doing a "Show CDP neighbor" command on the router brings up nothing. Doing a "show cdp traffic" on the router shows that cdp traffic is being sent but no recieved. On the switches doing a "show cdp neighbor" brings up details of other switches but not of the router. CDP is def enabled on all devices. All devices are cisco. Wots going on? can anyone help?

Go and download CDP Monitor from Tallsoft and see if you are getting cdp out of the router and switch.

I don't have my cisco boxes in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there is also a debug option for watching CDP traffic in realtime at the console. You could try that. Those debug commands have saved my butt soooooo many times
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

i can already see the traffic (show cdp traffic) command. The problem is solved now, looking at the CDP traffic on router showed that there was outbound cdp traffic but not inbound. Checked the switch that was plugged into and the port on the switch where the router plugged in had cdp disabled. Enabled it and problem solved!