Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to scan

Unable to scan

OS WindowsXPhome SP2.

Computer is 100% clean and was tested both in online and offline mode, but it is impossible to get antivirus work.

Tested with Avast, Antivir and F-Secure 2004 unable to use realtime-protection or scanfiles on disk.
    Nothing unusual in startup.

Norton that was installed in the begining is uninstalled and cleaned.
    never know

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Do you get an error when you try to scan? What makes you say that you are unable to use realtime-protection?

What did you use to ensure it's "100% clean" for offline and online modes?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Offline Mode: Avast, ewido, drweb_cureit
    Online Mode: drweb_cureit, Avast_boot-time scanner, SpyBot

No errors from avast and antivir only f-secure shows "Virus protection error".
    Manual scanning not starting at all if I scan with some installed antivirus though context menu, nothing shows, "zerro reaction on action".

Eicar (std vir test file) cannot be removed or detected as virus
    never know

How old is the Windows installation? Have you tried any online scans like Panda or Trendmicro? What are the specific error messages you are getting?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Firstly Have you checked your event journal for error messages when you try to scan?
    Also when you boot your computer do you get an unable to start service message?
    I know that older versions of norton were not compatiable with XP. Check out the norton web site for information on scanning problems. Does the AV control consol open when you click on it. Other than that try brokencrows suggestion on using an online scanner like mcafees stinger. Let us know if you find anything in your event log.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

For Windows I did repair with windows xp sp2 home original so it is new.
    I forgot to say that windows online update also not working.
    But it is no problem to install activeX.

I didnt try any Online Webbased Scanner. Becouse I used others that can be runned from iside, like drweb_cureit that have good detection rate and ewido from bootCD.
    I also did full access to all files on disk with "cacls" in case if some was locked.

In "online mode" I mean that it is running in same OS that it will scan.
    "offline mode" = bootCD

In eventlog is no errors that show that something is wrong.
    Yes I know that it very strange.

I think that something is wrong in the registry. But I not know what.
    never know

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I didnt try any Online Webbased Scanner. Becouse I used others that can be runned from iside, like drweb_cureit that have good detection rate and ewido from bootCD.
    Try an online scan like Housecall from Trendmicro. The issue with a bootcd version is that it might already be infected or out of date.

What makes you think it's a registry issue? Have you checked taskmanager to see if the application is running in the background perhaps or portions of it is running? You may want to look at Process Explorer to see which processes belong to which application.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by migik
    For Windows I did repair with windows xp sp2 home original so it is new.
    I forgot to say that windows online update also not working.
    But it is no problem to install activeX.
    Not sure I follow you here. "Repair" is not necessarily "new" when it comes to Windows installs. Online update not working could be network issues, corrupt system files, bad registry, etc. ActiveX not installed? He-heh, something's VERY wrong if a Windows machine can't run ActiveX!

I also did full access to all files on disk with "cacls" in case if some was locked.
    Well, you should try them. Online scans are perhaps the best way to FIND viruses and spyware on a PC, though they aren't great at cleaning. Attempting to run online scans also is a great way to see if other stuff like IE and ActiveX is working properly.

I think that something is wrong in the registry. But I not know what.
    How much time you want to spend on this thing? The Windows install sounds like it's been kicked around a lot. With as many problems you're having, you might consider an FNR (flatten and reload, aka format with clean install).

Yes, may be clean install is a good idea.

And all processes and services is ok and running.
    Most strange is that I got one more computer now that have same problem. ehh....

bootCD=BartCD with network support, so it is able to get new updates
    never know

Ugh, not good. Try an online scan, but they're "ActiveX dependent" so you may be SOL there too.

Running an AV scan from Ultimate Boot Disk is an option here too. It's a linux rescue disk. Wish I could be more help.