Thread: Help Finding the right router

Question Help Finding the right router

I'm looking for advice on what to buy for a router.
    Behind the router is one web server and small LAN.
    I currently have a linksys BEFSX41. I'm looking for a new router because the web server originally only served the LAN (Intranet), but now the dist manager wants me to open up the web apps. on the server to other sites. VPN is not possible because of systems at other sites.
    I need something that is reliable, secure and fairly easy to manage.

Let me know what other information may be relevant to making a choice. At this point price range is open.

Thanks
    Mad Beaver

What Exactly is it you need from the router you are looking for?
    The Linksys BEFSX41 offers most features required by web apps to begin with, DMZ, portforwarding, port triggering , PnP port forwarding, routing tables.

I have had a fair amount of down time with this type of router. It isn't a problem if I am on location, but I travel alot for business and it can be a pain in the ass if it goes down well I'm away.
    Mad Beaver

Linksys makes good routers and are as close to any to a standard in the industry. May not a bad idea to stick with them. Netgear and D-Link have worked well for me too. Watch out for Belkins.

Routers do go bad, btw. Like anything electronic, they "go south" with all the attendant flakiness.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Has anyone used a Cisco router 871. Any Pro's or Con's?
    Mad Beaver

I havent worked with the exact model 871, I have however done some work with 760's. (i know its old tech) Cicso routers can be great as long as every thing is going right. It's a ok choice for a small buisness, but it is not going to save you any trouble should it go down, if anything the set up for them is more in depth. Now I do have a point, if your going to drop the bucks for a router like the Cisco router 871, I highly recommend you find a salesman that will allow you to "test drive" one. Check out the administration client as well as the CLI before you shell out the cash if at all possible.

vunrabilities

i havent heard anything latley but one thing to check out with lynlsys routers is i heard they were issues with vulnerabilities as early as last year ,i also had an incedent with then where i bought a router from them and it quit working after a week of buying it also it would overheat and shut down on me this is with it just out of the box , im not sure if thats still the case but i recommend netgear routers ,they are easy to use, sucure and reliable

I have had a lot of issues on and off with a Linksys I had set up. I finally switched over to a SonicWall SoHo3 50 users and other then one unit geting toasted, it has work flawlessly. Setup and configure is very easy. I also have a Soho2 on a second domain/backbone, which I picked up off eBay.

The only complaint I have is with their tech support RMA department. When I RMA'd the orginal Soho back to them, they had to send me 3 units before I got one that was working properly. It turned out they were using Refurbed units for replacements, and hadnt matched up the correct power supplier with them. I believe they no longer use refurbs for RMA returns.

Anyways, I have no issues with recommending the Sonicwall line.

Hope this helps.
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!