Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Problem...

AOs Resident Troll
    I am talking about a dlink 604 or similar router...that would allow multiple machines sharing one internet connection....no need to explain to him anything

even set up for one computer...it is an external firewall....no user interaction required ...other then initial setup ...and occasional reset (show him how to power it down and up again if his internet isnt working)

Blocks most of the crap out there....but will NOT prevent spyware\viris or other malware....that requires...mostly.............. user interaction.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by Farrago
    I did try to boot to Safe Mode with Networking at the very beginning of the whole process. The computer stalled. In regular mode, I tried to Housecall and that too stalled. I ran Avast, and it came up clean.
    have you tried a system restore, just prior to when you started to make changes, also a system restore point if enabled will be created prior to Windows updates, maybe you have a bad patch and it corrupted some of your winsock settings, if so you can always get LSP fix and do a repair, sometimes third party install's will corrupt the settings (espescially Malware/SPyware).
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

AOs Resident Troll
    Dalek makes an excellent point about LSP extensions and corruption of the IP stack....

I have seen it where you clean a machine.... it breaks things ...such as network connectivity...because the malware has attached itself to the service\app\file\registry etc...and when you remove the malware...it corrupt the configuration\file\service etc

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks to all, the problem was easily fixed. I uninstalled the firewall, rolled back the system restore point to a previous date, and voila! Further thanks to those who provided some good food for thought regarding software firewalls, users' abilities, etc.

You probably took what I said as me being an *******, but seriously, I've been fixing family member's computers for about 3 years, and one thing is usually true:

When you add complexity to a system they already aren't sure about, you add to the problem itself. The best thing, is tell him to go for his idea about learning more about computing in general, and have him read up on firewalls so this doesn't happen again.

Hell when I started in computing about 6 years ago, I thought when you shut down Windows, that "Restart" meant it would restart it from the day it was bought. When I installed something I'd shut down and turn it back on.

from one lurker to another

I have to agree with gore, i've been helping out family and friends with networking issues since i was 15 an you can install a software firewall and configure the crap out of it, and you'll still miss something. (also happens with spybot and the registery monitor).

and i've learnt you get cynical in the It industry very quickly, as i work in a school and regularly go home wanting to kill at least one teacher.

ok, back to topic, for malware and stuff, possibly try installing something like spybot, and just show him how to run the updates and run it once a week.

and as long as he's not doing anything major, i don't see why you can't educate him on using the standard windows firewall, everyone likes to think that they need to be secure, but the chance of it happening to one person doing their day to day stuff, is small.

I know i'm gonna get shot down for recommending products, but that's my 2cents worth

triad

Originally posted here by Farrago
    Thanks to all, the problem was easily fixed. I uninstalled the firewall, rolled back the system restore point to a previous date, and voila! Further thanks to those who provided some good food for thought regarding software firewalls, users' abilities, etc.
    That's good to hear, a lot of users, forget how useful that little option of a system restore can be, it's like a "get out of jail free pass", some users even go so far as to disable this feature because it hogs space (each point requires memory), but if used properly you can get around this by setting "manual" restore points, espescially right after you have done a good clean and flush out the old restore points.

Luck...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Hi, I've got nothing to add really, I'm just in a chirpy mood so thought I'd say hello.

My experience of trying to help people to secure their computers is not good either; you have to remember that if you choose to get involved, what you are doing is signing a free support contract that says, "phone me when ever and where ever if anything goes wrong at all" and then they phone you saying that putting a firewall on you pc has stopped the toaster working and could you buy a new one please.

I always add small print well in advance and let them know that it is their responsibility to know what is going on.

Jonny Small print Froooooooobles
    Sarcasm is a way of life