Thread: Please help with data migration!

Please help with data migration!

To make a long story short I am trying to transfer files from old hard drive to external. Old hard drive won't boot. It continually loops. Can't get into safe mode. However, hooking it up as a slave I can pull the files off to the external. The administrator account won't copy over because it is password protected I'm assuming. Anyone know of a way to get that account to transfer over since I can't boot from that drive to remove the password??? Thanks for any help.

I would normally boot into Linux and then take any files off the windows HDD that I needed.

Not sure if thats a viable option for you though?

Hi,

Difficult to say, as you are obviously in a problem situation. Please try this:

http://www.roadkil.net/

"Unstoppable copier" is the tool for this job. Then see what happens when you have the stuff on a reliable HDD?

Good luck, and keep us posted

When you try to copy the info does it prompt you for the admin login&password or just give you an access denied message?

I would boot up a liveCD and manually transfer the contents from the old hard drive to the external hard drive.

it might be time consuming, but you will be able to transfer all data that you are seeking for the transfer.

front2back

AOs Resident Troll
    If the drive is slaved into another machine...can you not just take ownership???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer