Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security jargon,sry i'm so dumb :(

Security jargon,sry i'm so dumb :(

hi there,i'm interested in becoming anonymous on the net and also encrypting the stuff i do while online.

no idea where to start however,i know that this place is full of tutorials on such things...but i don't even know what all the words and abbreviations used in the tutorials actually mean.

i didn't grow up with a computer u see,mostly just console gaming.i'm not too bright and didn't pay any attention in school.however i think i'm of average intelligence,and even though i suffer from attention span difficulties,i think that i am obsessive enough to start getting into this computer **** properly.

any advice and/or tutoring would be most appreciated as i am most willing to learn.i'm just very new at all this

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Right off the front page of AntiOnline...
    http://www.antionline.com/jargon/

Good ole' Wikipedia...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_jargon

And another that looked promising (thanks to Google)...
    http://www.jonstorm.com/glossary/
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

quickest solution:
    if u come up with new words and wonder what it is, just open open google.com and type define:thewordsgoeshere. a simple define:encryption gives u a lot of definition.
    (thanks to Google)
    I can predict anything, except future!

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    i'm not too bright and didn't pay any attention in school
    You do understand that all this is more complicated than school, don't you?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi there,

Come in sit down, enjoy the show.

I have to say this: Self depreciation is just that. If you are going to use it, don't be surprised if I agree and then slam you. All in the name of good humor of course.

Mr thicky, stupid, attention deficit, IQ smaller than his shoe size, plop.

Actually, I have a serious question too. I had no idea that google used those sort of commands with their searches, can some one point me somewhere where all that is explained, sounds like google becomes even more usefull by the minute. They will be making google underpants soon for the less certain.

Kind regards and welcome AstralVortex (glad to see you use capital letters in your name)

Jonny Probably the best AO member in the Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Originally posted here by JonnyFrond
    I had no idea that google used those sort of commands with their searches, can some one point me somewhere where all that is explained...
    Hi Jonny,

Check out this.

aL

Hi JonnyFrond

Or you could read up on
    Boolean this will help you spice up your searches...

Or this and more boolean...

Happy Trails....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Dalek, you would get some anti points off me for that, but it says I have to spread the love.

Bubbles Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Pheh, those are OK suggestions.

But I present you with the glorious Google Hacking founders site.

http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/index.p...le=prodreviews

You wanna use google to it's fullest potential? Go hang out there for a bit.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

/Slightly off topic

For my sins, I get to deal with people who have no idea about computers (this is a natural talent as we are all at the same level ..............had to say that before Frondy did)

They don't really understand Boolean operators and the like. So, I tell them to whack in what they want, which will give thousands of hits............then use the "search within results" feature.

It is a lot easier to explain than Boolean expressions