Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6600 Gt

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

6600 Gt

Hi there guys

I recently purchased the 6600 GT 128 bit AGP. I would just like to know if there is a program that monitors it + fanspeed etc. I would just like to see if it is running at full capacity. Also in the settings there is an option to tweak it mhz etc. I clicked on "Optimal setting" which produced more mhz. Could this damage my card in any way?

Any comments appreciated.

Have you had a look on the driver CD that came with it? There is usually a utlility that will monitor that type of stuff now-a-days.

If the optimal setting is a "preset one" from the Manufacturer you should be ok, just dont try an overclock it anymore untill you know what your doing, or have lots of spare cash!

Caution my friend, caution................

Basic rule is to run everything at the minimum to allow you to do what you want to do adequately.

What do they mean by "optimal".............I am English, and would take that to mean "most balanced" or "most efficient".................others might mean "as fast as it will bloody well go without exploding in the next five minutes"

It seems to me that the latter may be the case?

Also...............a video card............my favourites

Try explaining to a small child that it is not a good idea to have a $500 video card and a $100 monitor..............perhaps a $250 video card and a $250 monitor would show a better result?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I would not try overclocking the 6600gt, that is not a good card to overclock unless you replace the heatsink and fan with a better one. Also, the 6600gt used to be the best bang for the buck card, but now it is the 6800gs, as of right now I would have gone with that... The 6600gt is still a good card, but it will be obsolete in the next couple of months. I have the 6600gt and I'm planning on upgrading to the 7800gs very soon.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Thanks for all your comments guys ...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

"I would just like to know if there is a program that monitors it + fanspeed etc."

GO HERE

How far did you OC your card?

Attitude: I dont know if it really overclocked but this is what I did. IN my graphics card settings (right click > properties etc) there is a section for "Clock Frequency settings". Once im in there there are two options: No overclocking and manual overclocking. When i select manual Nvidias Licence Agreement comes it etc. I can either overclock it myself by selecting whatever Core and memory frequency. @ normal Core is 500 MHZ and memory is 900 MHZ. When I select "Detect optimal frequencies" it shoots out Core @ 599 Mhz ann Memory @ 1200 MhZ. I also have an option to select fan always on(which I was under the impression that it is always on) and apply these settings @ startup. I have disabled this as I want to await your reply...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Cider old chap, please set her to 500/900

That is safe and probably as good as your VDU can handle.

Now, I built this bit of crap about 4 years ago............ a P4 2.26Ghz was the best around......so I decided to build a "racer"............we are talking about 40,000 Rands here...............

I got her to run stable at 3.066Ghz...............I had cracked the 3.0 barrier

She now runs at normal 2.26................

nihil, two words > TEACH ME
    Albert Einstein

AFLAAACKKK!!
    cider, 4 words: DO NO OVERCLOCK 6600GT!! Do not set it for optimal settings unless you want a fried video card. If you wanted to overclock you should have bought a 6800gs. It might not be what you wanted to hear but I'm trying to save your video card .

If you want to overclock you CPU then you'll have to replace your stock HSF with a better, more expensive HSF for starters...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools