Thread: IP Address Questions

IP Address Questions

Hi Guys (and Gals),

I don't know about any of you lot, but i am starting to get exceptionally tired of all the threads that keep popping up that ask:

How do i find an IP address?
    Theres this guy that is doing X how can i get his IP?
    I have the IP of this idiot, how can i get back at him?
    I keep getting e-mails from this IP what can i do?

As has been said in previous threads there are a lot of extremely valid and useful things that can be done with an IP, however it appears that most people who ask the above questions aren't interested in any of those...

So my suggestion is something on the front page that points to one or all of the tutorials that have been written about IP Addresses here on this site. I know that in the tutorial section there is an index, and i know that people could search for it, however have you ever typed "IP Address" in the search, it doesn't work because of the three letter minimum search term. Plus even if people could search they wont because the kinda people who ask that question are probably lazy as lets face it they can get the same stuff by googling it if they really wanted to.

Anyway just thought i would express how frustrating seeing all those IP Address posts on the front page makes me, and suggest a possible solution/action

www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Re: IP Address Questions

How do i find an IP address?
    ip address exisit in this rang [1-255].[1-255].[1-255].[1-255]

if you are connected to somone you can run netstat
    start->run cmd[enter] *in the black box now->* netstat[enter]

you cant just grab X persons ip by saying give me their ip, you can trace connections though

Theres this guy that is doing X how can i get his IP?
    there are several tools on websites for things like this, personally i like to do a tracert/traceroute first

tracert #.#.#.# (# == one of the numbers of the ip)
    traceroute #.#.#.#

this shows the general path along the internet to that persons computer (or where the connection is conneceted to
    next to the ip in results there may be a domain name suffix and you can use that to get their isp
    "gar6-p3150.cgcil.ip.att.net" this was the last one with a domain on the trace to my house from school, i know that att.net (used to be @ home and is now comcast.net) and right before that is an il (illinois) and cgc might mean a chichago routing center or be nothing, idk

im done there, isp comcast

I have the IP of this idiot, how can i get back at him?
    contact their isp, send them a letter saying there is some suspisious activity from X ip and ask them to look into it
    *jail warning* dont try and do anything directly, withouth their prior written permission or it is illegal

I keep getting e-mails from this IP what can i do?
    email the box's owner, and isp so that they can keep an notify the owner and get it cleaned/removed from the service untill it is cleaned

hope that covers the questions here

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Jensen,

He asked this:

So my suggestion is something on the front page that points to one or all of the tutorials that have been written about IP Addresses here on this site.
    Not the info about tcp/ip but rather a re-organization to present more commonly referenced tutorials (or commonly asked items) be linked at the front.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Nice info though!

wow, made me look like a fool, totally read that wrong. i should just format my comp now then.