Thread: microsoft ftp problem

microsoft ftp problem

Hi guys,

I use Suse linux and until now everything works fine. Today I received a message from my job, that new project is on ftp server server.com (I also received username and password). But there is a problem - I can normally connect to that server, but I can not list files. (See attachment) Anyone knows what should be the problem and how to solve it?

Thank you in advance

S7D
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Change your mode from active to passive... or is it the other way around... I never remember... Whatever the mode is now change it to the other.

One uses just port 21, the other uses port 21 for commands and port 22 for data. The information you want from the lst command, (which goes out on port 21), is being returned through the data channel, (port 22), which is being blocked by a firewall.... Set it so the mode uses only port 21 and all will be well with the world...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hey Hey,

I'd have to concur with Tiger on this one... Although it says trying to enter passive mode, which is usually the work around when you have problems..

sun7dots: since you're in Linux... try using pftp (passive ftp) and see what happens... let us know if you still have the problem.

Peace,
    HT

Thank you guys for fast reply.

One uses just port 21, the other uses port 21 for commands and port 22 for data. The information you want from the lst command, (which goes out on port 21), is being returned through the data channel, (port 22), which is being blocked by a firewall.... Set it so the mode uses only port 21 and all will be well with the world
    I know that these two ports are used, but I can connect to any other ftp server with no problem - so I don't think firewall should be the problem. This ftp is the only one, which I'm not able to connect to. Or am I wrong?

Change your mode from active to passive... or is it the other way around... I never remember... Whatever the mode is now change it to the other.
    try using pftp (passive ftp) and see what happens... let us know if you still have the problem.
    I tried but it doesn't look it helped. But I'm not sure if pftp is working well because after I typed pftp I get command line with "ftp>" and last answer from server was "227 Entering Passive Mode (81,95,106,186,4,201)."

UPDATE: I tried command passive and get
    Code:
    ftp> passive 
    Passive mode: off; fallback to active mode: off.
    Does it mean, that ftp server doesn't support passive mode? because if so, than I found my problem
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Just Another Geek
    Active ftp:

you ftp to some server..
    your machine actually connects to the server's port 21
    you type 'ls'
    your machine will pick a random port and tell the ftp server to connect to that port.
    Here's were things go wrong when you have a firewall and/or broadband router..
    It doesn't know about the random port so it'll block the incoming connection from the ftp server..

Passive ftp:

you connect to some server..
    as with active your machine connects to the ftp server's port 21
    you type 'ls'
    Here's the difference.. Now the server picks a random port and tells the client to connect to it.
    Since it's an outgoing connection your firewall will probably allow it..

Note: MS's console based ftp client can only do active ftp. Internet Explorer (using ftp:// ) is passive.. Linux console ftp client can usually do both, active and passive.. You put it in passive mode with the command "passive"..

Last note: Things go really weird when both sides (client and server) use ftp-unaware firewalls..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.