Thread: Setting up Apache server help

Setting up Apache server help

Hi.

I am trying to host Apache server on my machine. I have Windows XP 256 mb ram. Now i am trying to install a PHP server and from the information I was able to fecth up. This is what I have.

1. Apache is a PHP server.
    2. I have the Apache server configured in my system. It is Apache 2.0.55. I was asked to provide a domain name. I entered myname.net (not a legitimate option). Then I enetered my IP address(i have this leased for 24 hours). Then my legitimate mail ID.
    3. Now when I run it i can not make head or toe of this. I get Apache monitor, which shows something as active. Then other option shows services that are running. Then I know nothing.

4. Actullay speaking I do not know why I set up this server, however that is not the thing I want answer for. I will find that for myself.

5. What I wish to know is, I was asked to install windows XP service pack 1, which I did not, i will do that now. And second, why it is recommened that i install a http server in my windows first and then ftp server.

6. I tried looking for RFC in apache server, but did not found anything. Help will be appericiated.

Thanks.

Kamal Singh Bisht

Apache is an HTTP server - not a PHP server. However, a module can be included to make it use the PHP pre-processor so that it can display PHP files..

Your PC should be as up-to-date as possible - I recommend installing Service Pack 1 and 2 - there's nothing worse than an exposed/vulnerable server.

If you want, there an easier way of installing Apache with PHP and MySQL (if wanted) - search for 'XAMPP' on Google, or click here. That'll help you set up a fully-functional server in no time.

Once it's set up, type http://localhost in your favourite browser (if you're behind a proxy make sure you exclude it from using the proxy), and you should see the default Apache screen. Happy serving

Cheers,

-jk

[edit] And it doesn't matter what order you install the HTTP and FTP servers in

And this should probably be in another forum, eg. Web security

Re: Setting up Apache server help

Ok let's see..

Originally posted here by bisht_kamal
    Hi.

I am trying to host Apache server on my machine. I have Windows XP 256 mb ram. Now i am trying to install a PHP server and from the information I was able to fecth up. This is what I have.
    So far so good
    1. Apache is a PHP server.
    Wrong, Apache is a webserver, which can be used to serve a php backend..
    2. I have the Apache server configured in my system. It is Apache 2.0.55. I was asked to provide a domain name. I entered myname.net (not a legitimate option). Then I enetered my IP address(i have this leased for 24 hours). Then my legitimate mail ID.
    So you are just crappying about ??
    3. Now when I run it i can not make head or toe of this. I get Apache monitor, which shows something as active. Then other option shows services that are running. Then I know nothing.
    That's a good point to make clear...Then I know nothing.
    4. Actullay speaking I do not know why I set up this server, however that is not the thing I want answer for. I will find that for myself.
    I hope you do..
    5. What I wish to know is, I was asked to install windows XP service pack 1, which I did not, i will do that now. And second, why it is recommened that i install a http server in my windows first and then ftp server.
    Why a ftp server ?? I would not install an ftp server at all if I wer you !!
    6. I tried looking for RFC in apache server, but did not found anything. Help will be appericiated.
    What do you mean with RFC ?? Request For Comment ??
    Thanks.

Kamal Singh Bisht
    No Problem.

Anne Jan Brouwer
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Re: Re: Setting up Apache server help

Originally posted here by the_JinX
    I would not install an ftp server at all if I wer you !!
    Hi the_JinX,

While I can't say FTP is the most secure of protocols, the guy is just trying things out.. You learn from your mistakes. Maybe he just wants to see how insecure FTP is by sniffing the packets from another computer or whatnot..

And, he will learn from this experience. Maybe he wants to be a webserver admin in the future - this is the right place to start. No, an out-of-the-box XAMPP installation is NOT secure enough to be used out in the open - but it is a good starting point. I would know far less about servers if I had never installed and secured one - I think we can say the same for everyone.

I'm just suggesting that we should help him rather than hinder him.

Cheers,

-jk

Thanks J_K9. This was the sort of reply I was lookig forward to. I will make suer that I post such issued in Web security section next time onewards.

As for you the_JinX. I must say you speak the language I understand and believe me, this is the best way i find I undestand, because this is the way i like exaplaining, however I now do feel that stuff like this should be followed by information like J_K9 provided. I will surely keep this in mind. It still amazes me, the things you learn .......

Thanks people

Bye

Thanks for the information.

Point well taken J_K9..

But then I'd advice him to try and setup a good ftp server with ftps (ssl) support and all..

I have never done that on Windows so can't help there..

Also if you want to learn to play with Apache I'd advice to do so on any *nix flavour instead of Windows..
    I mean in the future it won't help you if you know how to setup Apache on a Windows box..
    When looking for a job they are either looking for a Windows+IIS or *nix+Apache person..

I'd try IIS on Windows and Apache on Linux or BSD..

But then I'd advice him to try and setup a good ftp server with ftps (ssl) support and all..

I have never done that on Windows so can't help there..
    Me neither - and I don't think I will ever have the need to setup an FTP server on Windows
    Also if you want to learn to play with Apache I'd advice to do so on any *nix flavour instead of Windows..
    Very wise words. bisht_kamal, it would be advisable to learn how to operate a *nix system (Linux is very popular nowadays, although FreeBSD is used a lot for servers) if you're interested in webservers, whether as a hobby or a future. Give it a shot and see if you like it - there are plenty of guides on the internet to get you started (including my website).

Am I right in saying that a Linux administrator is paid more than a Windows one, in the majority of cases?

Cheers,

-jk

Starting out with BSD as a unix 'virgin' might also be a good idea..

I still have to 'unlearn' to do options after other arguements which works on most linuxes (GNU) but won't on (most) BSD's..
    For example:
    rm folder -r (works on most linuxes but not on FreeBSD)
    rm -r folder (works on all unixes)