6th International Editorial Cartoon Competition
1. The theme of the 6th International Editorial Cartoon Competition, is “Cartooning in a dangerous environment”: to illustrate the pressure under which cartoonists perform their craft: the “chill” of a potential libel suit, the temptation of self-censorship, and security, political, economic and/or editorial constraints to artistic expression.
2. Prizes: three prizes will be given: a first prize of $1500, a crystal trophy, plus a Certificate from the Canadian Commission for UNESCO, a second prize of $750, and a third of $500. All sums are in Canadian dollars. Ten additional cartoons will receive an ³Award of Excellence². Regrettably no financial remuneration accompanies the Awards of Excellence.
3. A maximum of three cartoons will be accepted from each cartoonist. They may be in color or black and white. They may be original, copies, or attachments to an e-mail. They may not have won an award. They will not be returned.
4. The size of the cartoon should not exceed A4; 21 29.2 cm; or 8.5 X 11 inches.
5. The cartoonist¹s name, address, telephone number, fax number, & e-mail address (if available) must be on the reverse side of each cartoon or in the e-mail to which the cartoon is attached.
6. A short biography of the Cartoonist should be provided for promotion.
7. The National Press Club of Canada shall have the rights to use any of the cartoons entered in the Competition for promotion of the Luncheon or World Press Freedom Day. Participation in the competition is agreement by the cartoonist to the conditions of this article.
8. An exhibit of the 40 best cartoons will be held at the National Press Club.
9. The winners of the Competition will be announced at the World Press Freedom Day Luncheon held at the National Press Club in Ottawa, on the 3rd of May 2006. Winners will advised by mail/fax or e-mail. The results will be posted on the Club¹s web site Link
Entry deadline is 5 pm Eastern Standard Time, Friday, 31 March 2006.
Cartoons should be sent to:
NPC 6th International Editorial Cartoon Competition
150 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. K1P 5A4.
For further competition information contact: Spencer Moore, Tel: (613) 824 2436, Fax: (613) 834 2657. E-mail: rogers.com">firstname.lastname@example.org