Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with copyright and Flickr/images

Problems with copyright and Flickr/images

Hi,

I was thinking about this last night. Let's say I host a few of my screenshots on Flickr. Now, those screenshots are 100% mine - but I'm hosting them on Flickr (copyright mine).

Let's say I put some of those screenshots (hosted on Flickr) into a tutorial, which I post online. I am not breaking any of the Flickr guidelines because the images are not titles or anything of the sort for a website, but rather images to be used to help ease the information across to the reader.

Then, I decide to post that tutorial here, images and all. However, JupM then claims copyright over my tutorial and all the images in it - which are being hosted on Flickr. My question is: isn't this an accidental and indirect violation of copyright, or is there a vital part of one of the two companies' TOS that I am missing?

Thanks,

-jk

Simple don't post the tutorial here.
    Put the tutorial onto a website you own and just submit a link here leading to the website, containing the tutorial. That way you still own all copyright to what ever images and writtings contained in the document.

front2back

I've already got the tutorial on my website - I was just wondering whether I could post it here or not. Should I post a link to it in the tutorial forum then?

Cheers,

-jk

If I remember correctly and its been a really long time since I have read the T.O.S. for here but, it is paper thin. ie... they claim ownership over it, but at the same time say that all information is the the property of the poster. It saves them from someone suing them for something said on here. I might be wrong... will have to re-read the T.O.S. to find out if I am but, I believe I am correct.

As for tutorials... Do you really care if you violate the T.O.S. not that I am advocating doing something wrong, but I highly doubt that flickr is going to come after you for it.

Hey J_K9

You raise an interesting question there:

Basically, under UK law if you own something, you have to accept liability for it, or it is part of the public domain. There is no "having your cake and eating it"...............guess none of this stuff has actually got to court yet?

I would expect that the website owners will learn to their cost.............and the "leisure suit larrys" to their pecuniary advantage?

We also have a load of "restrictive practices" legislation that US corporates need to beware of?

ANd here i thought you had problems with me....
    O.G at A.O

Hmm.. so would posting my tutorial here be alright, or would it put JupM in an unfavourable position?

I'm sorry nihil - your post is cyphertext to me

If under UK law you have to accept liability for it, but (as in this case) the contents of the tutorial would end up being owned by JupM, would JupM then be the ones who 'owned' it, and therefore the ones in charge of anything related to it?

Sorry if I'm missing the point here

Whatever you post here, JupM owns it too....
    O.G at A.O

Hi J_K9

It is really very simple. If you "own" something, then you are responsible for it.

So, if your tutorial is "owned" by someone, then they are responsible for all the deaths and disasters that it causes

Aha, I see. Well, I may as well post it here - I doubt either of the two companies will be fussed about it..

At least, I hope not.

Thanks,

-jk