Ever built your own computer desk or table?

Thread: Ever built your own computer desk or table?

Banned

Ever built your own computer desk or table?

hello AO,

I decided to post this question here to see if anyone can give me some good ideas with my new LAN setup. I'm moving in exactly one week to a new house that has a huge finished basement. I "convinced" my wife to allow me to setup a nice LAN gaming area, one that is much better than my current configuration. Right now all six comps are arranged along two walls plus one in the middle, the basement (unfinished) I'm in now is much smaller, and therefore much harder to setup they way I want. I want to place the computers (6 to begin with) in a circular or oval setup with 1 comp each at the top and bottom and 2 on each side. Had this setup at Igames (my old computer cafe) and it was pretty popular with the customers. Now I'm stuck on what to do for new desks as the ones I have now are old and I'm giving them away to friends (less to move!). So here are my options:

1.) Buy RTA desks and use those (which is what I have now)

2.) build new desks, or

3.) build 4 tables, the end ones being big enough for one comp, the side tables big enough for 2 comps.

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever built their own desk or table for a computer. If so, where did you get the plans (and are they still available) and what was your cost. Building my own should be cost effective (though it probably will take more time)and I am pretty good with woodworking tools. It will also allow me to make them look they way I want. RTAs would be easier, but I'm restricted to a look that I can afford.

Any suggestions, ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Hi,

It all depends on where you live and what is going on around you. I lived in London (UK) for many years and always bought stuff second user from local office furnishers/outfitters.

There isn't much of a market for second user office furniture so I could pick up the metal IT desks with the concealed cable ducts and plugs for 10 and the 5-castor swivel chairs for 5.

Ex-government and education stuff is usually pretty crap, so I wouldn't bother, but lawyers, accountants, advertising, PR, doctors, dentists tend to change stuff pretty regularly to maintain their image and when they get new partners Just contact the guys they buy from.

Another thought is if you have a local saleroom (auction house). If you let them know what you want then they will usually 'phone you if anything comes in, because it can be quite difficult to shift.

If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?