Help me sticking to Linux

Thread: Help me sticking to Linux

Help me sticking to Linux

Since 7 years it is been with me... aah nuthin else but microsoft windows..
    well now i tried shifting myself like to linux, as the world is doing, but the thing is that microsoft gave such a nice weed, that no one can juz stop smoking that.. hehehe

well now coming to the point.. i found in some old discs of mine an open source SUSE 9.1 so that created an interest of linux in me, so i installed it, somehow i learnt how to mount few devices.. but not properly though..

now i heard the famour fedora realese so though of downloading it, but til now, after 2 days, i cant figure out, that how do i install a torrent client in this LINUX

i downloaded bittorrent it is with extension .rpm for that they say i need somethin called python, i googled it, read installation notes.. it said u need C compiler, i downloaded it.. now i extracted it but i cant see anythin to install with it, i mean anythin like configure or makefile..

please help me i downloaded something that is called Xerces-C++

Check for it at these two sites.

If you want to learn something, you need to put in the time, asking for help is all good but doing research is better ...then when you are really stuck you could ask for help and say what you tried and what failed.

It's not only gonna get you better answers but also gonna make you feel better about yourself, because you found something by doing the work for it, also it's going to stick in your head way longer then when you don't do the work for it.

Just some friendly advice ...don't take it negatively.

On the Xerces-C++ ...just this ... remember that Google is your friend !!

Oh yes ...on a more light note ...maybe reading THIS helps ... PUN intended !!

Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I download

open a terminal

and then rpm -i xerces-c-2.7.0-3.i386.rpm

juz that i did, but here is the error

warning: xerces-c-2.7.0-3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 5e3d7775
    error: Failed dependencies: is needed by xerces-c-2.7.0-3 is needed by xerces-c-2.7.0-3 is needed by xerces-c-2.7.0-3

BTW Cemetric thanks for your advice and as what you've said GOOGLE is my friend! and that's what i did

The Prancing Pirate

My advice to you is to upgrade to a newer distribution. SUSE 9.1's repositories are probably no longer around, so using the package manager (you know, the one in YAST2?) will fail.

The reason I said that is because the way you are trying to install packages, you will have to collect all the dependencies before you can install the BitTorrent manager. This can be a real pain, which is why the advent of package managers was so well received.

If you don't want to download a large distribution, go for something like SLICK or Ubuntu. Then, find and add some extra repositories (Google for the SUSE ones - which is what SLICK is based on - or find the Ubuntu ones here). Then, all you need to do is visit YAST2 in SLICK or Synaptic in Ubuntu and installing a BitTorrent manager will be a breeze - simply select the one you want, and the dependencies will be calculated automatically. This will make things far easier for you..

IIRC Ubuntu brings a BitTorrent manager anyway

TAZForum <---- click