Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i cannot run .exe programs or install programs.

Sounds like you have a corruption in your user account somewhere. Try making another ADMIN account and see if you can install things from there.

You don't state what OS your running but is your running on XP couldn't you use a restore point? I find that a bit easier that what Sirdice mentioned. Well that is if you have a point to restore to.

On another note: Front2back, Tedob said he can't install so it would be useless to try and get any-spyware programms. He wouldn't be able to install them.
    [T]he future is now.

i have currently tried creating a new admin user acct to no avail and for the record i am running windows 2000 pro sp4

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe your path or environment is mucked up

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

As I have stated before...some times the fastest easiest and surest way to fix a buggered install...is to format and reinstall

MLF

edit more on path problems

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180410/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...ode=a&x=13&y=9
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    My "trick" should work on 2000 too..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

thx alot for ur help guys but i cant get in to command.com from run menu but i have now found a way to install programs by useing a dummy program. what i do is find a program on my pc that naturaly asks me to open it with another application. then what i do when it says "open with" is i select open with "other" i go to the folder and file that has the install icon in it and i open the dummy program with the install program which prompts the install to execute. its a crude way of getting things to work on my pc by having to run most of my exe progs as a new user and having to use dummy programs to prompt exe installs to get em going but as for now this is all i have figured out and it works so i cant complain lol hopefully the tricks i have come up with will help others in a similar situation as i am in. once again i'd like to thank everyone for their help and i will do it this way untill an easier solution can be found or untill i can afford to buy xp.

Try running sfc /scannow from the run prompt to scan your installation files - they sound like they could be corrupt.