Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My experience (E17)

My experience (E17)

I'm tingling right now. I finally decided to try out Enlightenment, the new one, E17. I use E16 on my other boxes that I run it on and it looks amazing. Ummmm, how do I put this..... What I'm seeing and experiencing, makes Mac OS X's little pretty toys seem like UGLY.

I took a screen shot, but it doesn't capture the motion. When I move my mouse, I touch the end of the screen and the next desktop appears and a Mc Style pop up tells me I've gone to another one. It's very useful instead of annoying but if it annoyed you you can configure it.

When you look at the screen shot.... Well, the bottom has a spinning E in the left corner as an application menu. This is new from E16 as E16 doesn't HAVE this.

The bottom right you may notice the transparent little icons. You can put anything there.

I want to point out that this is completly default, I haven't done anything to make it look neat or cool. It looks THIS good out of the box so to speak.

Did I mention booting it up was amazing and looks AWESOME? Oh and:

I'M RUNNING THIS ON A CELERON 433 MHz PROCESSOR WITH 192 MBS RAM WITH NO LAGGING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you move your mouse over an app a little golden..... orb almost.... Follows your mouse around for those drunk computing times where you aren't sure what you're clicking on.

This is on my dual boot box of Slackware and Free BSD. I found every E17 package you need for Slackware on:

linuxpackages

I downloaded a few TGZfiles, type installpkg and that was it. I didn't have to do anything else but log out and log back in and it worked without ONE hassle at all.

I highly incourage those of you stuck with POS desktops to try this out. I'm giving this my stamp of approval and it's not even at the release stage yet, this is I think Alpha or Beta, but hasn't given me a problem yet at all, and I think I'm going to have to talk with Pat Volkerding about putting this into Slackware. I backed up the tgz files to my servers so I can keep them for other boxes.

Quit simply this is amzing lookin and works wonderfully.

Another shot. These do it no justice.

OK I just installed it on my other Slackware box. This one is slightly faster

Celeron 2.4 GHz Processor

Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128 MB

512 RAM

80 GB HD for /swap and /

160 GB HD for /home

I'll be sure to try it out..

You should try XGL the new (Novell sponsored) X server.. (X11R7) btw..
    It rocks.. I tried it on a couple of ATI's and NVidia's ranging from a Geforce 2 (32MB) to a FX5900 (256MB)

There's a nice little livecd to try it out http://getkororaa.com/ (gentoy based)
    It has autodetection and (closed source) drives for both Nvidia and ATI..

Got to love the wobbly windows and the 'desktop cube'..

And it saves processor time and main memory by using the video card like it is supposed to be..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Heh i've made two posts on that XGL already In my profile my last 20 posts, one is about SUSE Enterprise which REALLY shows it off nicely. Anyway... It's after 7 AM here, and other mods are waking up and coming online so I'm going to bed finally.

H'm.. missed those..

Anyway.. I used Enlightenment (with Gnome) extensively in the late 90's.. And loved it..
    But I lost my soul to KDE's useability (from 3.0) and won't be switching to Enlightenment for my main desktop any day soon..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I love the usability of KDE and I'm using it right now; however, I know I'm switching to E17 when it becomes stable (maybe one or two years from now; it's way worth the wait.. And since I'm on Gentoo, I just don't wanna bother with CVS releases ).

Gore, I see you're using XMMS.. You may want to try Audacious, it's more modern than XMMS. I like it.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

I use XMMS because of the low resources mainly. This box is old. I'll give the one you said a try though. Man E17 is great.

OK so I stopped drooling now so that I could start configuring a few things and then it hit me...... I haven't even STARTED to imagine how much work must have been put into this already.....

I clicked on the desktop, and the menu comes up and I went to configuration.... I can't even describe the cool things you can do in here but let me put it to you this way:

This machine is the 433 MHz Celeron I was telling you about with very low RAM. The thing didn't even start to lag after 10 things being loaded. It DID finally lag a little when I loaded the modules "Rain" "Snow" and "Fire" and as you guessed it It made the desktop Rain, Snow, and there was fire at the bottom.....

I can't even say enough on how amazing E17 is already and I've installed it on the more powerful desktop as I said but it's hard to take a screen shot and say "look" when nothing short of video is going to show you how cool it really is because using your desktop starts to become like a movie you control.

For those fo you who haven't smoked pot, use E17, it's better.

I took some more screen shots of me configuring a few things. I added a little module to tell me what the weather is, one to make it rain snow and have fire so I could show that, and I took some showing the module configuration itself.

You'll see how it's really point and click to do this.

And the one wher eI show the calander is cool, and I took one of me playing a song on XMMS to show the bar at the top showing what sng is playing. You can completly control XMMS from this bar as well.

The others I wanted to show the neat tools and the thing at the side where it shows system info which is fully configurable as well.

Note that the rain on the desktop is coming from a cloud it loads as well.