Thread: find someone behind proxy

find someone behind proxy

Is it possible to trace an IP adress which internet connection is going through proxy server and if yes, please tell me how?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

That's going to be really tough. You might do a 'whois' on the proxy and find out who the admin is. There's an outside chance he/she might help, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm not sure of the nature of the problem you're having with this other user, but you might also draw them in a bit and see if you can find out more about who they are. Use a little social engineering, so to speak.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hi,

Is it possible to trace an IP adress which internet connection is going through proxy server and if yes, please tell me how?
    In short, NO

What you see is the proxy server's IP not the client that is using it. The server probably logs the clients connections but that information is not available to anyone other than the administrators.

This is very common with institutions...............you would see "ABC University" or "XYZ Company" but not the actual workstation that was using it. Please remember that a proxy is not really designed for anonymity, it is intended to more efficiently handle connections.

Just Another Geek
    It actually depends on the proxy and it's configuration. Some proxies add a server header..
    Something like X-Forwarded-For: 10.11.12.13..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

This is an really interesting way that in theory should work. There are those really stupid signatures that will tell you where you are connecting from. The reason they work is they make your comp directly connect to their server and log it. Now with a little work you could place some code that would make the comp connect and then you could get the IP. But, once you are behind a proxy you are as good as anon. Unless for some reason you are a total re-re.

As has been mentioned - there of different types of Proxys and numerous ways for them to be configured.

Not all proxys will hide your IP address and a good proportion of them will reveal your IP when logging onto Secure sites for things like paying for something with your credit card etc.

Re: find someone behind proxy

Originally posted here by Danielsd
    I don't think so, thats the whole point of a proxy.

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well in South Africa we worked on a capped system so at a certain point we use a proxy. It is quite reassuring to hear that in "most" cases your ip address is hidden.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The whole point of a proxy is NOT to hide your IP. Read up on these things before you post **** Digoy.