Thread: Scanning for local access point

Scanning for local access point

Hi, I have a question about, I think it is 802.11b wireless, not "g" which I understand is kind of the norm. Well I have an IBM thinkpad with an IBM wireless card, running on windows 2000 pro.

I can't find a way for it to scan for an open network. With XP, there is a wizard that pops up and scans for networks, but where is it with windows 2000. I need to be able to connect up to what is an open network from this laptop. I have never been able to pick up a not named network. Windows 2000 won't accept a blank profile name.

How do I do this please.

Thanks

Fruitstall Jonny
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Read this for more information on how to set up wireless networking on Windows 2000.

Then, to find networks whose SSIDs are not broadcasted - look into NetStumbler.

Cheers,

-jk

// Download the latest firmware (supported by Windows 2000) for your wireless card if you can as well.

This is what I need thankyou J, but now it has brought up other things on the way.

The check box under my network places, authentication, IEEE is greyed out, what does this mean, and how can I access this now?
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by JonnyFrond
    This is what I need thankyou J, but now it has brought up other things on the way.

The check box under my network places, authentication, IEEE is greyed out, what does this mean, and how can I access this now?
    You're connecting to an open network.. So there is no authentication..

IEEE? I'm assuming you mean IEEE 802.1x?.. IEEE is the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers http://www.ieee.org. They're the ones that define a lot of the standards we use today..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Err, this is exactly my point, I CAN'T even find out if there is any wireless AP's about.

Put it this way, I know for a fact that there are three networks where I am, as my xp machine picks them up, yet I can only connect to the named one on my windows 2000 machine. I want to be able to scan for other networks, as at my new house it is an open network. So at the moment, because it is open and not named, I cannot connect to it.

How do I do this in windows 2000 pro?
    Sarcasm is a way of life