Thread: Encryption options?

Encryption options?

I'm looking for file encryption software that will work across different platforms. I use Windows (both 2K and XP) and Linux (ass't flavors, Ubuntu right now primarily). All I need is a basic app to encrypt a few sensitive files I'd keep on a thumbdrive.

I played with ccrypt a while back and it seemed ok. I'm thinking PGP and GnuPG are a bit of overkill, but it might behoove me to start picking up on these pkg's.

Any suggestions?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Just Another Geek
    PGP and GnuPG are definitely crossplatform.. Added bonus: you can encrypt and/or sign your email too
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

If I use PGP and GnuPG, will I be able to encrypt and unencrypt files in either using the same keys? I've got a licensed copy of PGP 6.5.2 that would run on W2K. I'd probably use GnuPG for XP and Linux. Obviously, I run a number of computers.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I advise going for GnuPG for all the computers - after all, it's free, and you might as well use the same application on all your computers. And yes, your key should work on all the systems. Although I think you can bypass using keys and just enter a password/-phrase to encypt/decrypt each time.

Read up on it here - that document should be helpful..

Cheers,

-jk

You may want to check this first:

Flaw makes GnuPG crypto vulnerable

Cheers:
    DjM

The current version, 1.4.2.2 should be fine. I assume that the Globe and Mail article was from today??? No date on it.

Generally, GPG will require that you create a certificate (self-signed) and back it up off the machine. You can set up storage for the certs/keys in a firebox or other safe location so you can retrieve the data later if something breaks.

It does make good sense, as J_K9 suggests, to stick with one product, and GPG is free. It works very well.

Truecrypt

Truecrypt supports *nix since version 4. I use it for a long time on Windows boxes so I'd guess it is good for Linux too.
    David Matousek, founder of Matousec - Transparent security

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    matousec, If you notice the flashing dates... the last post on this thread was over 2 months ago im pretty sure by this point they have their issue solved. Take a look at the AO FAQ and welcome! Enjoy your stay.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    If I use PGP and GnuPG, will I be able to encrypt and unencrypt files in either using the same keys? I've got a licensed copy of PGP 6.5.2 that would run on W2K. I'd probably use GnuPG for XP and Linux. Obviously, I run a number of computers.
    Yes, as long as you are using the same encryption algorithms and the proper key.