Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC locks up

Hi

You can try this free utility from Cnet SpeedFan

Read up on it as it's not for novice users, and if anything it should give you an idea on what temperatures you are getting.

Luck...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Thanks Dalek , im going to download it now...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

hmm Dalek I have installed this proggie. However I might be noob however I dont know how to actually find my card speed and temp. Anyone that has used this before please let me know.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted here by Cider
    hmm Dalek I have installed this proggie. However I might be noob however I dont know how to actually find my card speed and temp. Anyone that has used this before please let me know.
    Do you get a box like this.It shows the fan speed over at the left, and the HD temp on the right.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Yes do Do get the hard drive temp and 1 fan speed on the left. Now is that my CPu fan or what. Could you help me configure this if it isnt too much trouble...
    Albert Einstein

On the left - I get Fan1 and its speed. On the right I get 6 temps (incl HDD temp). Temp 1 = 30C, Temp2 & 3 = 0, Temp4 = -32C, Temp5 = 41C and the last is my HDD = 26C.
    Albert Einstein

your 6600gt is pci-e or agp? if agp did you connect the power cable to it? if not then better do so it have a major impact on its stability , also could be the psu. download prime95 & everest

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

run prime95 & everest (goto computer-->sensor) then start the stress testing in prime95 and while its doing it goto the everest window wait for 10-15mins and write down on paper the lowest the +3.3v/+5v/+12v gets then stop the stress testing in prime95 and close it & everest and report back with the voltages

card

AGP and I did connect power cable to it I will download those programs and report back in 24 hours ...

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I don't think fnding how how hot your card is is really all that important right now. It's too hot and you already know that. A good way to test your card temp for free is to open the case and put your finger on the heat sink. It it hurts it's too hot.

But seriously you've said you don't have any fans in your case, an Athlong 2000 can still generate a lot of heat, as will your HD and GFX card. You shoudl get a couple of cheap 80mm fans into your case. 1 at the front sucking in and 1 at the back blowing out. That'll drop the temp a lot for a start. Look in your case and see how tidy it is. Try to clear loose cable out the way to improve airflow (just with cable ties etc nothing fancy). Maybe change your IDE cables to round versions.

Try that and if you are still running hot then you might need to look at things like the Zalman coolers Foxy suggests.

HI CIDER
    I was trying hard to find specifications for your motherboard but asus doesnt keep it any more.
    (which tells me this motherboard is old and not that great).I did managed to find this review.You guys have a look .I dont like few things for a start this mobo has agp4x slot. Your video card is agp8x.
    Just from reading your system os xp amd2000,640mg memory (which memory??)and this board and as you disribed your case i am afraid this is not good enough system for this card let alone playing games.on top of that you DONT have a fan in your case.
    i dont try and want to sound negative about it , but hope other guys can see where i am coming from.
    Gaming case without fans=maybe vapochil case. some new thermaltake fanless systems but classic cases no way gaming without fans(my thermaltake gaming case has 7 of them).
    i do belive this system has no hope to be gaming one.
    Guys please add your opinions
    thanks
    Revie of motherboard::::
    (by the way try links on right hand side of resourses
    http://www.mikeshardware.com/reviews...vm_review.html