Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PC locks up

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Hi there invisible - I am in the process of upgrading however until then ill have to make do. Thanks guys for all your opinions, it has helped me alot and given me alot to think about - thanks for the effort...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

hi Cider,
    no problem thats why we are here to help each other.
    I dont know if that system is upgradable.I think pretty much you would need nearly all knew components.
    Before you decide what box you plan to build(when you have more clear idea what do you need your pc for and BUDGET) then post here we will try to come to some suggestion.There are already some posting about recomendation for building new system so look around previous post here first.
    good luck

Cider

Get an exhaust fan this is a flat device that takes up a PCI slot (it doesn't need the PCI connection as it has a molex connector for power) The rotor blades look a bit like a hovercraft and the exit is about 3 inches by 1/3 of an inch. It will dump about 40 cubic feet of air a minute.

At the back of your case you shold also have the mountings and grilles (loads of perforations) for one or maybe two case fans these are typically 80mm, although 120mm is possible.

Please make sure that there is a reasonable space between your case and the wall...........at least a foot (12") would be ideal.

I suspect that you have made a classic mistake and put in a video card that is a bit too powerful for your existing equipment. I would be inclined to underclock it in that situation. The 6600 does not like being overclocked anyway

And think about your monitor..................I keep telling people that there is no point having a $500 video card and a $100 monitor!...............you need balance mate!

I keep telling people that there is no point having a $500 video card and a $100 monitor!
    quickly go run out right now and get a 24' flat screen LCD monitor
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi there nihil - I underclocked it before i read this post and it seems to be fine now. Im hopefully getting a new case tomorrow and will follow your instructions. Call me a noobie however I have never had a case fan nor have I installed one. Could you please explin how to do this. Does the fan get plugged into the motherboard etc, does the fan come with instructions? Also something that has been bothering me - when I get my new motherboard and case will the motherboard coem with instructions as I havent build a pc before, the screws how to connect the restart and on/off button etc. Thanks for all your help guys.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hi,

This is a case fan:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...edcasefans.php

There are four screws that attach it to the case.

This is an exhaust fan:

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...e=HF-EXI&af=50

It attaches into a PCI/ASA space, but does not need the mounting, so with a decent sized tower it will fit below the motherboard. It is held in by a single screw just like a PCI card.

Your case may have instructions, your motherboard certainly will. If you have never done it before you might consider getting a local PC store or a knowledgeable person to do it for you?

Well Nihil I underclocked the card so I might be going for a new monitor - the balance ... Ill let you guys know more developments
    Albert Einstein

Hi there Nihil - I upgraded from a 17" CRT to a 19" CRT flat, wow what a difference. I am running 1280 * 1024 @ 85 HZ. Is this alright. What resolutions do you guys normally use. Thanks.
    Albert Einstein

Hi Cider,

Glad you like it. I generally use 800 x 600 for e-mail, forums, and office type stuff, otherwise 1024 x 768 for surfing, photoediting etc. both at 85Hz (17")

i use 800 x 600 for just about everything. When i game i go up to 1600 x 1200.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin