Thread: Disable Windows Games?

Post Disable Windows Games?

I am currently working as an IT technician at a secondary school, some of the teachers at my school have expressed concerns about the lack of attention the students pay when they try to conduct a lesson in an IT suite.

This lack of attention is caused by the fact that the students are sat at their computers playing computer games rather than listening to the teacher or doing their work. My problem is that the students have now found out how to access the standard games that are included with the Windows operating system (e.g. spider solitaire, pinball etc), obviously I have tried to delete the .exe files from the local machines. Although then when you try to open one of the games, Windows recreates the .exe file, I assume from some DLL file somewhere on the file system. If anyone knows how I may remove the .exe files permanently, I would be very grateful.

btw – All the computers in school are running Windows XP, Just in case you need this info. Also I am aware of how unpopular taking away the games will make me with the students as it’s not that long since I was at school, but to be honest not all the students in my school are intelligent enough to realise when they really do need to do some work and if I don’t remove the games then I know that some of the students will do absolutely no coursework as a result.

Thank you in advance,

TTAYO

My dear friend, all I can say is: "replace the teachers"

Hey, if a Microsoft game is more interesting?

Hi,

Try this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...307768&sd=tech

It seems simple enough, the main steps are listed below

1. With the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
    3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    4. In the Windows Components Wizard, click Accessories and Utilities (the words, not the check box), and then click Details.
    5. If the Games check box is checked and the background of the check box is white (all games are installed), and you want to uninstall all of the games, click to clear the Games check box, click OK, and then click Next.
    Also because you are just uninstalling the games i don't think you will need the CD, however don't quote me on that
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Howdy..

You can usually uninstall those games with the Add Remove Feature, Just select windows components, scroll down untill you find the games, and just uncheck the appropriate box.
    They should get uninstalled, reboot and problem solved

cheers
    front2back

<edit> Shippma old pal you seem to of beaten me to the post.. </edit>