Thread: Can't scan for open networks

Can't scan for open networks

Hi,
    My laptop runs windows2000, and for some reason there is nowhere to scan for a wifi network. I know there are 3 wifi networks here, because my xp box picks them up, but I can only get a network if I know it's name.

Is there a bit in windows 2000 that scans for networks?

It's just that where I am moving to they have an open network, and it is a bit crap that I won't be able to use it.

Please help, don't want to have to install xp on this just yet.

Fried Jelly
    Sarcasm is a way of life

http://www.netstumbler.com/
    check this out. Haven't run W2K in a while to tell you if there is a scanning agent like in XP.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

goto the nic's manufacturer's website and look for software that is to be used with your nic.

For Windows 2000, you'll need a 3rd party wireless client utility, or as Digoy stated, check the manufacturers website for one that will work with your particular wireless card.

Check this link for a little more info:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micro...20d6ba7bdbcb71
    - Maverick

That would explain it then, I tried netstumbler, and it worked at first and found two networks that were on line, then over the space of 3 mins, it cut my internet link, and then both networks disappeared and my network icon said network cable unplugged.

It is not a problem as I just shut down stumbler, and disable wireless, then enable again, and I can get online, but how can I fix this little issue with netstumbler, do I have a conflict somewhere??

Flying Jonnys synthetic masterpiece
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Originally posted here by JonnyFrond
    That would explain it then, I tried netstumbler, and it worked at first and found two networks that were on line, then over the space of 3 mins, it cut my internet link, and then both networks disappeared and my network icon said network cable unplugged.

It is not a problem as I just shut down stumbler, and disable wireless, then enable again, and I can get online, but how can I fix this little issue with netstumbler, do I have a conflict somewhere??

I don't currently use Netstumbler, but I seem to remember a similar issue a while back on my Win2K laptop....

I could be completely wrong, but for some reason I'm thinking my problems were related to the type of wireless card I had in my laptop..... What wireless card do you have in your machine?
    - Maverick

I have an IBM 802.11b wireless lan slotted into a thinkpad (which I love )

Flowers Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life