Thread: This one is new to me...

AO Ancient: Team Leader

This one is new to me...

... and _quite_ convincing too....

Caught in my spam filter by SPF, (Sender Policy Framework), was an email to one of my users:-

Subject: Part-time position with an investment company: Receivables Clerk/Associate (RCA 04: 0753)

I am writing to inquire if you might be interested in part-time employment with our company.

Baikal Finance, Ltd. is a registered investment advisor offering hedge fund research and due
    diligence and investment trust management to sophisticated investors looking for absolute returns.
    We focus exclusively on managing multi-manager portfolios of hedge funds.
    For more information on our company, please visit us online at www.baikal-finance.biz

Currently, we are looking for proactive individuals to act as our receivables clerks/associates in the
    United States. As a receivables clerk/associate, you will be in charge of processing investment funds
    transfers initiated by our US clients under the supervision of the regional manager, ensuring timely
    funds processing, obtaining confirmations and communicating with the bank in regards with these transfers.
    A perfect candidate should be an able communicator who is also comfortable with numbers.
    College education or basic administrative experience is a plus. No relocation is required from the successful candidate.
    This opening is a great opportunity for those looking for a reasonable trade-off between income and work load,
    such as senior citizens or self-employed individuals.

The position is commission based, and it will typically take up to 6 hours per week to fulfill your duties.
    Your core responsibility will be to receive the investment funds from our clients into your designated account,
    reconcile the payments if required and transfer the funds into our investment accounts. You will be in charge
    of contacting your bank in order to obtain transfer status information and confirmations, as well as handling
    daily communications with your bank. You will be receiving a 3% commission from the gross amount of each
    transfer that you forward to us. For instance, if $10000 is credited to your account, you will earn a commission of $300.
    Your commission is available immediately, so there is no need to wait for the payroll check in the end of the month.

You will be receiving the investment funds from our clients via secure electronic Wire transfer used by major US banks
    for funds and securities settlement. This means that no funds will be deposited into your account, unless the transaction
    is reviewed and confirmed both by the remitting and recipient banks. Thus, there is no financial risk involved on your end.

In order to qualify for the position, you must be a permanent US resident aged 21 and above. It is recommended that
    you set up a separate bank account for the receivables service (a list of preferred banks that we can recommend based
    on our prior experience is available); however, you may also use an existing account. Since most communication with your
    supervisor will be via email/fax/phone, you should have full-time access to these facilities.

To apply for this position or to make an inquiry, please email us at rca04@baikal-finance.net.
    Please use the following reference code in the header of your email: RCA04.
    I can see a couple of routes for abuse there....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Tiger, you may want to notify the AntiPhishing Workgroup as well as this site. There is a lot of potential abuse for that one, especially ID theft.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Man! These scammers get better every day!! Thanks for the heads up too!

Just think if they were to use their powers for good, rather than evil.

-Deeboe
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Ms. M:

Reported...
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just Another Geek
    nice...

Name: www.baikal-finance.biz
    Addresses: 84.10.226.30, 24.123.110.70, 24.197.138.60, 24.223.162.148
    65.31.117.226, 67.186.126.172, 69.192.188.99

84.10.226.30 - UPC.pl cabel user (Polish ISP)
    24.123.110.70 - Road Runner-Commercial (US ISP)
    24.197.138.60 - Charter Communications (US ISP)
    24.223.162.148 - Earthlink, Inc. (US ISP)
    65.31.117.226 - Road Runner (US ISP)
    67.186.126.172 - omcast Cable Communications, Inc. ILLINOIS-23 (US ISP)
    69.192.188.99 - Rogers Cable Inc. (Candian ISP)

So it looks like all their webservers are on "ordinary" consumer connections..
    Maybe these are 0wn3d and abused to make their scam look legit?

Domains look dodgy too...

Domain Name: BAIKAL-FINANCE.NET

Registrant:
    Baikal Finance Ltd.
    Maksims Churlyonis (baikalfinance@mail15.com)
    Raina Bulvaris 4
    Riga
    Rlga,LV-1050
    LV
    Tel. +371.347281577

Domain Name: BAIKAL-FINANCE.BIZ
    Domain ID: D12404337-BIZ
    Sponsoring Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 440
    Domain Status: ok
    Registrant ID: GODA-017430619
    Registrant Name: Registration Private
    Registrant Organization: Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    Registrant Address1: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Address2: 15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160,
    Registrant City: Scottsdale
    Registrant State/Province: Arizona
    Registrant Postal Code: 85260
    Registrant Country: United States
    Registrant Country Code: US
    Registrant Phone Number: +1.4806242599
    Registrant Email: BAIKAL-FINANCE.BIZ@domainsbyproxy.com
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Sponsoring Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.
    I think that says it all....

I constantly tell my users that the internet is the 21st century "Wild West"... I guess this demonstrates that admirably....

Banned
    Tiger, you may want to notify the AntiPhishing Workgroup as well as this site. There is a lot of potential abuse for that one, especially ID theft.
    Here is another interesting link for a few laughs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ecking+crew%22

Hey Hey,

I actually get quite a few "job offers" by email... about 50-60% are known to be accurate... but I do get quite a few that I question... Since most of them are in the US... I always respond the same way... (within a varying degree)..

Hello,

[This part only if it mentions monster or workopolis since my resume is publically available there]
    Please find attached a copy of my latest resume. Let me know if there's any further information that you require.
    [End that part].
    I do have a few questions, would you be willing to pay my moving expenses and what is the salary? Also... is it ok that I have a criminal record.. I've heard that could present problems.. Please provide me with a phone number at which I can contact you to continue our conversation.

Thanks,
    Tyler.

I've never recieved another response to that... and for some reason I usually get a bunch of them at once.. then nothing for a while.... I'll dig through my email later and provide you with what I have.

Peace,
    HT

Hmmm,

Maybe the "real Baikal" would be interested that their name is being taken in vain?

http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/

They are a large Russian engineering group................I know their shotguns and rifles

EDIT: HT~
    Also... is it ok that I have a criminal record.. I've heard that could present problems.
    Some people actually like Kylie Minogue