Thread: Lost Connection

Banned

Lost Connection

Aloha,

I have a wireless network in my home. I have an SMC7004AWBR router. I connect to the ISP through a cable modem (HomeConnect brand modem....supplied by ISP....3 - 4 yr old). I have been losing my connection (none of the computers in the house can connect to internet) several times a day. I have to take power off router and modem and then connect modem for a while then router. This will fix the prob until it happens again. The ISP blames the router (of course). How can I troubleshoot this problem to see if it is the router or the modem......or something else? I have checked and the router has the latest firmware.

Thanx in advance.
    Zaldy

if you or a friend has an extra router try swapping them out. Or you can try to connect one of the pcs directly to the modem with a cable instead of throught the router. If it still happens then its not the router 8-)
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

AOs Resident Troll
    The ISP blames the router (of course).
    They ALWAYS blame the router...

Do a tracert...when connected and the when you become disconnected..
    usually you will see the hop from the router to the modem then to the isp...then out

maybe able to gleen where the problem is...

I had to do this with bell....I would send it to them when ever I would disconnect....they lowered my rates and have finally fixed the problem...

Usually it is old equipment\switch somewhere...it was in my case

Good luck

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

They ALWAYS blame the router...
    They do don't they

I had the same thing with my ISP ... I had a performance problem ... massive ping timeouts... if I pinged my router it was ok ...disconnected the modem and tested everything again ...no problem on my LAN ... so I called tech support and told them about the massive timeouts and allround poor performance ... they then started to read of their list of things to let the user check (I hate that) although I allready told them it was not a problem on my side ... that took another 10 minutes ...then they transferred me to a higher level support (or so I thought) ...again with the list ...but this time a bit more advanced ..."can you do an ipconfig /all please, you need to do this in the command prompt, you can find it ..." and so on ... I interupted him immediately after that and told him "Look, I know you are just doing your job, but this is rediculous, I told the previous techie and now I'm telling you again ...I've done all those checks ...the problem is on your side ... I have timeouts ..." ... Timeouts he said ...What do you mean .... *click¨* beeeeeeeeep ... Called the next day to customer satisfaction to complain ... The day after that they send someone round ... he checked some basic stuff and told me it wasn't a problem on my LAN ...*duuuuu* ...He then went out after asking me my cellphone number ...An hour later he called ... "Hey, it's the guy from tech support, I've found the problem... your cable had a bend in it ...replaced it ...please test again"

Finaly fixed ...took em 3 days ... cheezzz

Just had to share this story ... it's realy good therapy

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Banned
    I would add that a cable company tech came to the house and checked the wiring and fixed a few things to get better signal strength. This didn't fix the prob. I've had this set-up for a number of years i.e. no new hardware and no new operating system/firewall etc.

AOs Resident Troll
    so...did you do a tracert????

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer