Thread: Excel Formula Question

Excel Formula Question

Ok i am trying to do a little bit of the above and beyond my normal job duties thing and am running into a wall with trying to write this equation so i was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I have 3 collums. Collum C has formulas in it so that if A and B in the same row both have an X in the cell than cell C in that row will show an X as well, otherwise it shows a O. What i am trying to write now is a statemane that will allow me to show the realtime percentage of cells in collum C that have an X.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Re: Excel Formula Question

Originally posted here by JewishIntent
    Ok i am trying to do a little bit of the above and beyond my normal job duties thing and am running into a wall with trying to write this equation so i was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I have 3 collums. Collum C has formulas in it so that if A and B in the same row both have an X in the cell than cell C in that row will show an X as well, otherwise it shows a O. What i am trying to write now is a statemane that will allow me to show the realtime percentage of cells in collum C that have an X.
    Hi

I know your looking for the quick answer, but maybe this site will have what you are looking for...Excel ...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

You can use the countif function to return all the amount of x and o then work out the percentage...
    off the top of my head something like..

=countif(c1:c100, "x")*(100/(countif(c1:c100, "x")+countif(c1:c100, "o")))

percentage=howmanyx*(100/(howmanyx+howmanyy))

I hope this helps.

omin
    \"Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not circles, and bark is not smooth,
    nor does lightning travel in a straight line.\" -Benoit Mandelbrot

Well i went there and while i probably could have gotten the answers i needed i just don't have the time to go searching through all of that. BUT i was able to figure it out anyway. Posting my solution below in case anyone else needs something like this.

=(COUNTIF(C2:C15,"X"))/COUNTA(C2:C15)

This will count the number of cells with X in it and divide it by the total number of cells with data in it giving me a real time percentage. Note that all of my data is between cells C2 and C15.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

That will teach me to go and eat before I post Well I'm going to do it anyway!!
    And the "/COUNTA(cell:cell) works as you found.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.